The University of Massachusetts Boston (UMass Boston) invites applications for the position of Professor and Department Chair for the Department of Engineering in the College of Science and Mathematics (CSM). UMass Boston is the only public research university in the greater Boston area. The Engineering Department currently has 10 tenure streamlines, 1 full-time lecturer, and 1 research assistant professor. It offers two ABET accredited BS degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering, combining over 170 majors and growing, with the intent to develop additional BS degrees and graduate programs in the future. The Department’s strengths include quantum electronics and photonics, applied electromagnetics, wireless communications, nanoscale interfaces to biology, Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things. The Department participates in CSM interdisciplinary PhD programs in Integrative Biosciences and Computational Sciences. In addition to a commitment to interdisciplinary research and graduate education, Engineering faculty play a leadership role on campus research core facilities and participate in UMass System research & training initiatives, as well as in the ongoing establishment of corporate partnerships.
The Department has a substantial institutional development potential, and the Chair will play a central role as UMass Boston launches a new University-wide Strategic Plan. The successful candidate is also expected to have a vigorous research program overlapping but not restricted with current research areas in the department. We seek a leader who will support our goal of ensuring an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace. This is a tenured appointment at the rank of Full Professor.
SCOPE OF WORK AND AUTHORITY
Reporting to the Dean of the College of Science and Mathematics, the Chair provides strategic leadership to the Department, manage the Department’s operations, and engages in research, teaching and service. The Chair leads the Department in achieving the highest level in all academic and research endeavors and promotes a team spirit of excellence, diversity, inclusivity, and equality for the advancement of institutional goals.
Under the leadership of the Dean of the College of Science and Mathematics, the Chair will define a vision that will chart new areas of opportunity for the Department and will provide the leadership and an entrepreneurship spirit necessary to achieve them. The Chair has an oversight for program accreditation, external affairs, and is actively involved in community outreach, alumni, and industry relations, as well as fundraising efforts.
- In collaboration with the CSM Dean, provides the strategic vision, the intellectual and academic leadership toward advancing educational and administrative agendas for a broad range of innovative, transformational initiatives for the Department
- Oversees the management and promotion of excellence within the research, instructional and service mission of the Department
- Works collaboratively with the CSM Dean team and the university administration on policy development and implementation
- Directs hiring, promotion, and retention of faculty and staff at the Department level
- Guides the development and oversight of undergraduate and graduate curricula and degree programs, including compliance with accreditation standards
- Exhibits excellence in research and teaching
- Ph.D. in Engineering or related discipline
- Experience at the rank of full professor or promotable to this rank by virtue of their professional and academic achievements
- Outstanding research and teaching record that warrant an appointment at the rank of full professor with tenure
- Demonstrated success in securing significant extramural funding in the form of grants or contracts
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion and diversity
OTHER PREFERENCES AND CONSIDERATIONS
- Demonstrated ability in working for diversity, equity and inclusion, and team building
- Knowledge of innovative curriculum development and implementation
- Experience with interdisciplinary and cross-institutional collaborations, entrepreneurship, and the development of new and innovative programs
- Successful track record in working with industry and other external stakeholders
- Success in fundraising and securing external support from a variety of sources, including federal, state, private, and industrial
- Experience with ABET or other academic accreditation processes
- Substantial experience in personnel management, including recruitment, advancement, and retainment of faculty and staff
- Experience with fiscal management responsibilities
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS AND APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
Candidates should submit the following through the application portal.
- A cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- A teaching statement
- A research statement and long-term vision
- A diversity statement that reflects the candidate’s experience and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- A statement regarding previous administrative experience and their vision for the department
- Complete contact information for at least three professional references
For further information please visit the Department of Engineering website at https://www.umb.edu/academics/csm/engineering and CSM website at https://www.umb.edu/academics/csm. Inquires can be directed to Chair of Search Committee, Rahul Kulkarni (Professor and Chair of Physics) at Rahul.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin May 16, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information. In addition to federal law requirements, the University of Massachusetts Boston complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
UMass Boston requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and to confirm proof of their vaccination status including booster. Exemptions from the vaccine requirement will be permitted only for qualifying religious or medical reasons. Regardless of vaccination status, you must wear a face covering in public indoor spaces on campus.