Compensation and HR Operations Analyst
Job no: 521437
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Human Resources
Pay Grade: No Pay Grade
Date opened: Eastern Standard Time
Reporting to the Senior Director of HR Information Systems and Operations, and working closely with the HR Generalist team, the Compensation and HR Operations Analyst plays an important role in ensuring the competitiveness and effectiveness of the University’s compensation-related programs as well as alignment with federal, state and university regulations, policies, and guidelines. The Analyst works closely with the Senior Director, the HR Generalist team, staff in colleges and departments and individual employees to identify and resolve various inquiries and issues related to compensation, job classification, and related matters. Works as part of a team to administer and provide analytical support for the departmental compensation committee comprising the Analyst, the HR Generalist team and designated Labor Relations staff members. Takes a leading role, under the management of the Senior Director, in devising and implementing a plan to introduce an electronic workflow into compensation and job classification operations.
Examples of Duties:
- Ensure compensation and benefits programs are administered in compliance with Federal and State regulations and laws, collective bargaining agreements and university policies.
- Provide prompt and responsive in-person and online customer service to all constituents, ensuring that all matters related to compensation, job classification and assigned HR operations are resolved, communicated and implemented in an accurate and timely manner.
- Manage operations of the departmental compensation committee, providing accurate compensation analysis and effective administrative oversight to support the same.
- Review and properly classify job descriptions in accordance with relevant collective bargaining agreement and/or policy. This includes reviewing non-exempt positions and assigning the appropriate grade in accordance with Commonwealth of Massachusetts job specifications, and using point factor system to correctly grade unionized professional staff positions.
- Manage tracking mechanism for all reclassification and compensation review requests and develop enhancements to the same under the guidance of HR Generalists and labor relations staff.
- Ensures that jobs are appropriately classified in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Work as part of a team to develop and implement a grading system for non-unionized professional positions.
- Updates and administers university protocol for managing and updating job descriptions.
- Partner with the HRIS team and other department constituents to move compensation and job classification operations to an electronic workflow.
- May lead or participate in market and salary surveys and research compensation trends.
- Monitor reviews of compensation and benefits packages to maintain market competitiveness.
- Participate in benchmarking processes and analyze industry data to evaluate roles and determine competitiveness of salaries and total compensation by market.
- May assist with costing labor grievance settlement payments and collective bargaining proposals.
- Design and build compensation metrics, reports and tools to inform compensation program decisions and analyze business outcomes.
- Work with HR Generalist team and department leaders to provide appropriate guidance regarding pay decisions, policies and job evaluation.
- Contribute as assigned to the annual process for salary increases including system set-up, validation of data and distribution of reports.
- Answer employee queries on compensation and related matters.
- May assist in the orientation of new employees and coordinate communication of changes in compensation information to employees.
- Help prepare government filings, plan audits, or other tax-reporting requirements.
- Ensure compliance with Data Privacy and Protection Guidelines.
- May write or evaluate position descriptions.
- Properly maintain the confidentiality of employee personnel records and other sensitive information.
- Research, compile and analyze employee records and data to assist with analysis of various HR operations.
- Work collaboratively with all HR team members to contribute to a positive and productive team environment.
- Takes initiative as appropriate and performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university
- A minimum of one year of experience in human resources.
- Knowledge of principles, theories and concepts for administering compensation programs, including working knowledge of compensation procedures, best practices, applicable laws and regulations, e.g., the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Excellent mathematics proficiency
- Experience working with HR systems and technology
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Tools including Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Ability to understand the critical importance of confidentiality and ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Strong commitment to customer service
- Strong project management and project planning skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Relevant professional certification (e.g., CCP, PHR/SPHR) achieved or in progress
- Working knowledge and understanding of HR processes and HRIS systems (preferably PeopleSoft)
- Experience working in a unionized environment
- Prior human resource experience in higher education and/or the public sector
- Demonstrated experience in human resources administration in a complex organization, including documenting, developing and interpreting of policies and procedures.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
This is a non-union exempt position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
UMass Boston is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations for the hiring process. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact HRDirect@umb.edu or 617-287-5150.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other legally protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
UMass Boston normally does not provide H-1B visa sponsorship for non-academic positions.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.
UMass Boston requires all employees to be vaccinated and to confirm proof of their vaccination status.
Exemptions from the vaccine requirement will be permitted only for qualifying religious or medical reasons. Regardless of vaccination status, you must wear a face covering in public indoor spaces on campus.