Organizational Development Manager
Job no: 520467
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Pay Grade: 30
Date opened: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
The Organizational Development Manager will have responsibility for carrying out talent development and human resource duties for the department of Athletics & Recreation. The Organizational Development Manager will assist in work to further an inclusive culture. The incumbent will prepare human resources related forms and materials for employees of Athletics & Recreation to ensure that employees are paid accurately and to ensure proper funding for positions; ensure the department meets deadlines for annual performance appraisals, follows appropriate guidelines around hiring practices and will also perform payroll and other personal management duties, including entering time for staff and students, when appropriate. Under the direction of the Deputy Athletic Director for Internal Operations/Sr. Woman Administrator, the incumbent will be responsible for designing and coordinating professional development opportunities for staff, ensuring all employment searches meet the requirements of the institution and administrative tasks and services to support the effective and efficient human resources operations of the Athletics & Recreation department. The professional will also be responsible for advancing efforts for inclusive hiring practices and retention efforts by helping to shape and further the goals of the department’s diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts around talent management.
Examples of Duties:
HR Policies and Procedures
- Assist with the formulation and implementation of human resource policies and procedures.
- Advise and assist employees with understanding human resource policies and procedures.
- Provide recommendations to the Deputy Athletic Director for Internal Operations/Sr. Woman Administrator, about policies and procedures, researching and instituting best practices.
Recruitment and Hiring
- Responsible for the management of PageUp, online Applicant Tracking System, for managing the recruiting process for employees of UMass Boston.
- Responsible for creating and posting job vacancies in PageUp.
- Build understanding of best inclusive practices for hiring and retention.
- Make and implement recommendations for diversity, equity, and inclusion goals and practices for talent management efforts.
- Coordinate all search committees and ensure compliance with University hiring practices.
- Schedule all candidate interviews.
- Provide feedback to job candidates regarding the hiring process.
- Administer and process new hire paperwork.
- Coordinate onboarding and orientation of new employees.
- Responsible for the accurate submission of all Electronic Personnel Action Form (ePAF) for Athletics & Recreation.
- Assist with the recruitment process by performing reference checks.
- Performs periodic audits of HR files and records to ensure that all required documents are collected and filed appropriately.
- Initiate and participate in projects that further HR and recruitment capabilities.
- Coordinate performance appraisals.
- Under the direction of the Deputy Athletic Director for Internal Operations/Sr. Woman Administrator, design and organize training and professional development.
- Build professional development opportunities that advance efforts for inclusion within the Division.
- Record performance, grievance and disciplinary information.
- Assist with the termination process including paperwork, notifications to relevant departments and exit interviews
- Assist with the development of a mentor program for staff and coaches.
- Manage mentorship program for department.
- Under the direction of the Deputy Athletic Director for Internal Operations/Sr. Woman Administrator, assist with the creation of a new hire orientation program.
- Coordinate and conduct new employee onboarding.
- Coordinate and conduct employee offboarding.
- Prepare and distribute correspondence and communications.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date human resource files, records (e.g., Department’s Operations Manual), and documentation.
- Maintains the integrity and confidentiality of human resource files and records.
- Working in collaboration with the Deputy Athletic Director for Internal Operations/Sr. Woman Administrator and the Deputy Athletic. Director for Strategic Advancement, assists with planning and execution of special events such as organization-wide meetings, employee recognition events, holiday parties, and retirement celebrations.
- Answers frequently asked questions from applicants and employees relative to standard policies, benefits, hiring processes, etc.; refers more complex questions to the Deputy Athletic Director for Internal Operations/Sr. Woman Administrator.
- Assist with performance management procedures and ensure the department meets the University’s timeline for reviews.
- Provides administrative support related to talent management, employee performance, and human resources to the Deputy Athletic Director for Internal Operations/Sr. Woman Administrator
Payroll and Benefits
- Is responsible for the administration of the division’s hourly employee time-keeping system: trains divisional managers on the system, runs roster files and payroll reports and makes corrections, serves as point of contact with offices of student employment and human resources, the greater UMass HRITS Department as well as the external time-keeping software management company (Kronos).
- Prepare and submit human resources related forms for professional, classified, faculty, student and hourly employees; rely on researched material for required information in order to complete forms and ensure that employees are paid accurately and to ensure that funding for the position is coming from the appropriate account; serve as hiring manager for all new employees; order office supplies, coordinate IT needs.
- Perform payroll and other time and attendance duties in a lead or back-up capacity, including verifying the inputting of time and hours for staff and students and adjusting time, when appropriate; provide training to employees on how to self-report time, as needed.
- Promote employee compliance with HR mandated processes and systems.
- Maintain all human resources documentation in compliance with university guidelines and to ensure proper documentation for audit purposes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Three-five (3-5) years of full-time, professional experience in higher education administration, human resources or a closely related field is preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience working with PageUp Human Resources is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A demonstrated commitment to a culture of diversity & inclusion that supports the university’s commitment to diversity and inclusion and demonstrates personal dedication through words and actions.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the use of administrative software systems and programs including Microsoft Office Suite, MS Teams, Zoom and One Drive.
- Working knowledge of general human resources principles.
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in developing, applying and interpreting regulations, guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to develop and implement solutions that successfully address process issues.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a team capacity with a broad range of staff to accomplish departmental, program and university goals.
- Ability to accurately manage sensitive and confidential data and to manage related physical records.
- Ability to excel in dynamic and changing environment with competing priorities with some tolerance for ambiguity.
- Ability to coordinate and work with others to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and work independently.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
This is an exempt union position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
UMass Boston is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations for the hiring process. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact the ADA/504 Coordinator Andrea Haas or 617-287-5148.
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other legally protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
UMass Boston normally does not provide H-1B visa sponsorship for non-academic positions.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.
UMass Boston requires all employees to be vaccinated and to confirm proof of their vaccination status.
Exemptions from the vaccine requirement will be permitted only for qualifying religious or medical reasons. Regardless of vaccination status, you must wear a face covering in public indoor spaces on campus.