Asian American Student Success Program Coordinator
Job no: 496845
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Pay Grade: 29
Date opened: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
The Asian American Student Success Program will integrate the educational, cultural, and linguistic expertise of faculty, staff, students, families, and local communities to build, assess, and sustain an ongoing, holistic program of activities, services, and research in order to achieve two specific goals: 1) to increase college access for Asian Americans who are low-income or first-generation college-goers and for traditionally under-represented Asian American ethic populations; and 2) to increase Asian American retention, persistence, course completion, and graduation rates.
The Program Coordinator will work closely with the Director in the overall planning and implementation of the program. S/he will assist with identifying Asian American students who need academic support, connect them to the appropriate services, and monitor their progress. S/he will coordinate outreach to target schools and community organizations; will coordinate the P2P mentoring program; will provide logistical support for trainings, faculty development activities, and the research conference; and assist with survey administration and data collection.
Examples of Duties:
- Assist the Director in the planning, development and implementation of all program activities to ensure that program objectives are being met and that the program is in compliance with federal and funding resource rules and regulations, including but not limited to handling logistics for information sessions, career seminars and other events; keeping the program website pages up-to-date with simple script entries; and producing periodic newsletters and brochures;
- Assist the Director in the management of program budgets to ensure compliance with accounting and procurement procedures, as well as federal and other grant requirements;
- Assist the Director in working closely with faculty, managers and students at collaborating institutions;
- Assist the Director in the preparation and submission of, evaluation, and fiscal reports to UMass Boston administration, funders, and other relevant parties;
- Assist the Director in the development and maintenance of program databases and supervise the ongoing collection of appropriate data for the purposes of evaluation;
- Assist the Director in monitoring the progress of Asian American students and connecting them to opportunities and services that will enhance their success;
- Counsel and coach students;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Education, Human Services or a closely related field and a minimum of one-three years of experience in higher education student support or student activities, preferably with Asian American students required. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with low-income, first generation, urban students required. Demonstrated understanding of urban student support services and academic advising required. Demonstrated ability to work with faculty, staff and administrative offices and to coordinate outreach to target schools and community organizations required.
- Master’s degree preferred;
- Bilingual skills, particularly in Cantonese, Mandarin or Vietnamese, preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and experience with various software applications, including office software and database management;
- Ability to learn Microsoft Access data-entry and report generation;
- Ability to effectively and efficiently work in a team capacity with a broad range of staff to accomplish departmental and program goals;
- Ability to work independently and efficiently;
- Ability to supervise the work of work-study students;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills, including the capacity to work cooperatively with a wide range of individuals;
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Good judgment, discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 7 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.