Job no: 496301
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: IT Application Services
Pay Grade: 31
Date opened: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Reporting to the Manager of Application Administration, the Application Administrator will provide technical and administrative activities along with other application administration support staff. The incumbent will provide functional, operational and project-related activities to support a portfolio of campus, enterprise and SaaS-based software applications and databases, both existing and new that support both the administrative and academic units.
Examples of Duties:
- Provide support for a number of software solutions, housed on campus, at the University Systems Office or hosted in a SaaS environment with vendors; work closely with additional Information Technology units, such as Infrastructure, Security and Client Services, vendors and customers to coordinate the implementation of new applications and provide ongoing user and technical support in either a SaaS, on-premise or hybrid environment;
- Responsible for continued portfolio expansion of new software and databases to meet the needs of academic and administrative units across the campus;
- Provide technical expertise to cover hands-on primary or backup support to the Application and Database Administrators;
- Work closely with the Manager, Application Administration, to provide future and budget planning to ensure all applications and databases are monitored, managed and operations;
- Provide support for software upgrades, application of new releases, user support, training and introduction of new capabilities and/or modules to a diverse user community;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in an Information Technology discipline, preferably Software of Applications, and a minimum of three-five (3-5) years of experience in application support work, preferably in a higher education setting is required. An additional four (4) years of application support work experience can be substituted for the required Bachelor’s Degree.
- Varied and exceptional technical background, with the ability to stay abreast of new trends by keeping a keen eye to best practices and newly adopted technologies in both higher education and business, is preferred.
- Experience with the planning and all phases pertaining to the creation of, acquisition of, maintenance of and support of new or existing software applications and databases, be they in-house or cloud-based, preferred;
- Diverse knowledge of business requirements to support administrative and academic organizations, meeting defined service levels to a diverse client community preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to evolving service and technology paradigms;
- Demonstrated ability to work and collaborate with skilled implementation and operational teams and to create and maintain team spirit and harmonious working relationships between co-workers;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively administer business applications;
- Specific understanding of industry trends and standards in the information technology field;
- Strong ability to work in an oftentimes chaotic environment, assess and meet competing priorities, with a significant tolerance for ambiguity;
- Strong ability to gather requirements and complete projects on time and on budget;
- Strong ability to collect requirements, define workflow, and interface with campus clients and the UMass System Office on initiatives;
- Ability to work collaboratively with individuals and groups from a wide variety of backgrounds and organizational levels, to incorporate their ideas, adapt to their needs and form consensus in appropriate situations;
- Ability to use Microsoft Office applications, including Microsoft Visio Word, Excel, Project and PowerPoint;
- Ability to coordinate with others to accomplish assigned tasks and projects;
- Strong technical skills and the ability to implement best practices in Application Administration and tool sets for the management and monitoring of administrative or academic applications with an understanding of the higher education business;
- Solid client relationship management skills with a strong ability to build and maintain healthy relationships with clients;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 7 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
Grade 31 position, salary associated with Grade 32.
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.