Student Multicultural Affairs Program Coordinator
Job no: 495659
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: VC-Student Affairs
Pay Grade: 29
Date opened: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Reporting to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, the Student Multicultural Affairs (SMA) Program Coordinator will support and advise cultural clubs and organizations in the planning and execution of meaningful cultural programming throughout the academic year. The SMA Program Coordinator will seek to engage faculty and staff in working collaboratively with students to develop comprehensive, high-quality services and programs for students of color and those from varying social, economic and cultural backgrounds; and will assist the Director of the Department of Student Multicultural Affairs in outreach, visibility and student support activities for all vulnerable and historically marginalized groups.
Examples of Duties:
- Work directly with cultural clubs and organizations to plan, organize and implement programs and events (including new programming and events, traditional cultural programs and cultural graduation ceremonies) to support the students and communities they represent;
- Coordinate with Student Activities Program Coordinator for Leadership and Orientation in identifying, training and supporting faculty advisors for cultural centers, clubs and organizations;
- Promote and develop leadership and leadership opportunities among cultural clubs and organization membership in coordination with Student Activities Program Coordinator for Leadership and Orientation and the Office of Student Leadership and Community Engagement (OSLCE);
- Organize a Multicultural Council among cultural club and organization leadership to promote education, exposure, collaboration, improved organization, information sharing and coordination of efforts;
- Develop and maintain a webpage with updated information and opportunities to support students of varying cultural backgrounds;
- Develop, plan and lead the facilitation of cultural organization e-board orientation and training sessions;
- Conduct assessment of services and programs offered; prepare written reports of student learning outcomes and effectiveness of programs and services;
- Assist in advising student cultural centers and the cultural center collaboration;
- Assist in grant writing and fundraising for program development, scholarships, and other needs to provide student support;
- Participate in new student orientation and recruitment ensuring a smooth transition of students to campus;
- Work with Student Activities and the Campus Center with regards to marketing of student cultural events;
- Coordinate with the Office Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ODEI) and OSLCE on the development of student diversity and inclusion oriented programming;
- Serve on divisional and university committees and task forces where appropriate;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of one-three years of related college student affairs experience required. Ability to work and participate in evening and weekend events and contribute to the ongoing development of 24/7 events is required.
- Master’s Degree in higher education, college student personnel or a closely related field preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and ability to guide, advise and support students, build relationships and establish collaborative partnerships across the institution;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to diversity and inclusion;
- Ability to utilize independent judgment to assist students from varying social, economic and cultural backgrounds through their academic career;
- Ability to prioritize tasks in managing work volume;
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals from other cultures; demonstrated capability to deal with a diverse population of students and scholars;
- Ability to exercise good discretion and maintain confidentiality and sensitive information ;
- Ability to act independently, take initiative and exercise sound judgment;
- Ability to build relationships and establish collaborative partnerships across the institution;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong organizational, project management and problem solving skills;
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills, with an emphasis on education and training in leadership;
- Strong commitment to customer and student service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 7 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.