Job no: 494918
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Health Services
Pay Grade: 34
Date opened: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
At the administrative and clinical direction of the Director of General Medicine, and in consultation and collaboration with the Chief Physician, the Nurse Practitioner will provide healthcare to the University’s campus community. The incumbent will assist with day-to-day direction of clinical support staff and student healthcare providers and workers; and will function as a member of the interdisciplinary college healthcare team for the university.
Examples of Duties:
- Maintain a clinical practice through the delivery of independent and collaborative healthcare relative to the college population and university community; practice within and to the full extent of departmental clinical practice guidelines and privileging documents; independently seeks consultation with nurse practitioner colleagues and Chief Physician in maintaining both acute and chronic cases;
- Provide assessment, evaluation and treatment or triage of episodic illness and injuries; obtain health history and perform examinations according to the chief complaint; develop treatment plans, to include education, therapeutic, and treatment modalities; order x-rays and laboratory tests as appropriate; interpret lab results;
- Provide periodic and specialty physical examinations as per departmental scope of services;
- Create, provide, support, and participate in health promotion and disease prevention programs;
- Stay current with education and training issues in the area of adult primary and adolescent healthcare; attend continuing education programs and in-services specific to the college age population;
- Provide telephone consultation, including test results, triage, and treatment instructions;
- Participate in peer review, performing quarterly chart audits with collaborating physician;
- Provide education and counseling concerning various physical and psychological issues;
- Prescribe and/or dispense over the counter, non-controlled and controlled medication per state, federal and departmental guidelines;
- Participate in quality improvement initiatives;
- Provide education, delegation and direction in accordance with advanced nursing practice act to support staff including RN’s, LNA’s, medical assistants and student workers;
- Provide clinical oversight in the absence of the Director of General Medicine;
- Serve on committees and task forces as requested;
- Precept U Mass Boston Nurse Practitioner students;
- Administer immunizations and injections;
- Manage medical emergencies;
- Provide on campus and community resources;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
MSN or MS degree, along with graduation from an accredited professional school of nursing and completion of an approved nurse practitioner program, and a minimum of one-three years of experience as a nurse practitioner in primary care, university health services or a similar setting is required. Current national certification as a nurse practitioner and current license or eligibility in the State of Massachusetts is required. Prescriptive practice authorization through valid registration(s) from Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration is required.
- Primary, urgent care or college/university health experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in the use of an electronic medical record system;
- Demonstrated proficiency in physical assessment, and history taking, management of acute minor and chronic illnesses and experience in counseling;
- Ability to work with and communicate with diverse student population and other health professionals;
- Ability to work and function autonomously;
- Ability to stand and sit for hours at a time, along with some bending and stopping as required;
- Ability to use manual dexterity in relation to clinical requirements.
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 7 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.