Job no: 517419
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Undergraduate Admissions
Pay Grade: 28
Date opened: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
The Admissions Counselor is responsible for developing and/or implementing traditional recruitment activities to attract students to the University. The incumbent will manage an assigned geo-territory, create a travel plan for recruitment and will represent the University at high school and college fairs; and will develop and maintain relationships with personnel at assigned high schools. The Admissions Counselor will also conduct interviews and provide enrollment counseling for prospective students; will review applications and render admission decisions for freshman and transfer applicants; and will also serve as a liaison to various on-and off-campus constituents. This position may be eligible for a hybrid model, with a combination of on-campus and remote work, depending on department business needs.
Examples of Duties:
- Develop and/or implement recruitment activities to attract students to the university; conduct recruiting activities, which includes scheduling school visits, conducting interview and informational sessions, attending events and developing partnerships within the community;
- Manage a recruitment territory and represent the university at high school and college fairs;
- Conduct interviews and provide enrollment counseling for prospective students;
- Review applications and render admission decisions for freshmen and transfers applicants;
- Serve as liaison with various on and off-campus constituencies.
- Serve as agent on the office main telephone number queuing system
- Perform other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s Degree required. The incumbent will be required to work some evenings and/or weekends, as necessary. The incumbent is required to have and maintain throughout the duration of employment in the position a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to travel throughout identified recruitment territory. Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, as well as off-campus recruiting events, is required.
- Additional experience in admissions or higher education field is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and/or understanding of college curriculum;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and other software applications and emerging technologies;
- Working knowledge of admission procedures, including educational documents and test scores;
- Ability to deliver services in an environment with an emphasis on customer service, both internally and externally;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment, as well as independently with minimum supervision;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
This is an exempt union position. Typical hiring range is within the first quartile of the range.
UMass Boston requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and to confirm proof of their vaccination status. Exemptions from the vaccine requirement will be permitted only for qualifying religious or medical reasons.
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other legally protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
UMass Boston normally does not provide H-1B visa sponsorship for non-academic positions.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.
UMass Boston requires all employees to be vaccinated and to confirm proof of their vaccination status.
Exemptions from the vaccine requirement will be permitted only for qualifying religious or medical reasons. Regardless of vaccination status, you must wear a face covering in public indoor spaces on campus.