Job no: 517234
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Human Resources
Pay Grade: 18
Date opened: Eastern Standard Time
The Employment Specialist will serve as the primary point of contact for management of the university’s applicant tracking system and, in collaboration with the HR Generalists, the related business operations and recruitment efforts of the university. The incumbent will have primary responsibility for the placement of advertisements regarding all employment opportunities; will support the HR Generalists in advising hiring managers regarding options for positing employment opportunities; will take the leading role in executing background checks on all new hires and tracking background check results; will support I-9 completion process for new hires; and will liaise as needed with HR Generalists, benefits staff and others as needed to ensure a smooth onboarding of all new hires. The incumbent will also provide oversight and process quality control over the university's online applications, candidate screening and the applicant tracking system including but not providing daily technical support to system users and developing and conducting regularly scheduled training for both search committee members and hiring managers. Takes primary responsibility for reviewing departments’ candidate slates for diversity and, where indicated, suggesting additional candidates for inclusion. Manages the production of reports from the applicant tracking system to support diversity and other university initiatives.
The Employment Specialist also will act as the campus lead for managing the technical aspects of the applicant tracking system, including its adaptation to alternative applications such as compensation process workflow, and serve as primary liaison to the system office for this purpose. In addition, the Employment Specialist will provide technical support for updating the departmental web site with content provided by the HR Generalists, the Office of Civil Rights and Title IX and others.
Examples of Duties:
- Provide support for the recruitment efforts of the university; place all employment opportunities on the university's website for all staff vacancies, including classified, professional, non-unit, temporary and graduate assistantships and ensure compliance with all university and departmental policies, procedures, as well as all collective bargaining agreements.
- In collaboration with the HR Generalists, oversee salary offers for jobs posted in PageUp and provide data to support HR Generalists’ discussions regarding the same with the responsible Vice Chancellor or Dean in order to ensure alignment with University pay practices, compensation philosophy and market conditions.
- Create recruiting strategies to address the changing business requirements and skill set needs of various parts of the organization and that increase the diversity of candidate pools.
- Create questions and interview strategies for job postings to screen candidates in accordance with job qualifications.
- Notify both classified and professional unions once positions are posted on the university's applicant tracking system, review internal candidate pools for both classified and professional positions and notify the hiring department of internal candidates, as outlined in current collective bargaining agreements. Manage posting of available opportunities with external advertising venues and contracted advertising agencies.
- Respond to departmental inquiries and provide assistance regarding the recruitment and hiring process; assist hiring managers and search committee members with accessing the university's online application, candidate screening and employment system.
- Analyze, resolve, and respond to a variety of applicant inquiries regarding the application process and status, recruitment procedures, as well as technical issues.
- Maintain and provide oversight for the university's online application, candidate screening and employment system; set-up user accounts and resent user passwords; create and run reports, as necessary; ensure hiring managers and search committee members have access to postings when needed and troubleshoot any issues; respond to applicant inquiries regarding applicant status and procedures; troubleshoot problems with the university's applicant tracking system and interact with the EMS client services staff to resolve system issues.
- Support the users of the university's online application, candidate screening and employment system by providing regularly scheduled training to search committee members and hiring managers. Responsible for the creation of all training materials and tracking of all trained users and providing one-on-one training, when appropriate.
- Serve on various campus- and system-wide committees and working groups; attend conferences as needed.
- Proactively perform other duties as indicated and as assigned to ensure the success of the University and Human Resources goals and objectives.
- Takes a leading role in supporting the conversion of departmental processes to an online format, including use of DocuSign and other technology solutions. Supports communication, training and other functions related to the same.
- Ability to deal effectively with a wide range of constituencies, including students, university staff and faculty.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in the performance of all assigned responsibilities as appropriate.
- Ability to successfully respond to a broad range of inquiries, challenges, and initiatives.
- Ability to maintain security of official records and other matters of office confidentiality.
- Ability to consistently demonstrate initiative and follow through on assignments and projects and special assignments.
- Superior oral, written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and presentation skills.
A bachelor’s degree and at least five (5) years of progressive HR experience in human resources, ODEI or a related field pertinent to an inclusive recruitment function. A deep understanding of and commitment to world-class Human Resources customer service is required, as is familiarity with applicant tracking system management from both an end user and technology platform perspective and the I-9 process. Intermediate or advanced proficiency with various Microsoft Office and other software applications, including in particular Microsoft Excel, required. A commitment to quality and responsive customer service a must.
Preferred Qualifications: Proficiency with DocuSign and other on-line work flow tools a significant plus. Prior work experience in international employee immigration is helpful but not required.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three references.
Open until filled.
Hourly rate: $27.66 - $28.98
This is a non-union exempt position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
UMass Boston requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and to confirm proof of their vaccination status. Exemptions from the vaccine requirement will be permitted only for qualifying religious or medical reasons.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other legally protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
UMass Boston normally does not provide H-1B visa sponsorship for non-academic positions.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.
UMass Boston requires all employees to be vaccinated and to confirm proof of their vaccination status.
Exemptions from the vaccine requirement will be permitted only for qualifying religious or medical reasons. Regardless of vaccination status, you must wear a face covering in public indoor spaces on campus.