Assistant Vice Chancellor of Client Services
Job no: 504113
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: IT Client Services
Date opened: Eastern Standard Time
Reporting directly to the Vice-Chancellor for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer, the Assistant Vice Chancellor of Client Services will be responsible for the leadership and effective delivery of all aspects of Information Technology Customer Support. Charged with improving service levels and customer confidence, as well as preparing to meet future increased demands, the Assistant Vice-Chancellor is responsible for re-engineering IT Client Services, spanning the IT Service Desk, Desktop Management, Computer Repair, Software Distribution and Computer Lab Operations. S/he will be responsible for aligning with IT support functions within the colleges and departments to increase effectiveness and eliminate redundancy in support for end-users. The Assistant Vice-Chancellor is responsible for IT Service Management, a core IT discipline critical to the effective utilization of, and customer satisfaction with, IT services. S/he champions IT Service Management best practices as well as the implementation of an IT Service Management tool suite (ServiceNow) for managing Service Catalog, Requests, Incidents, and Knowledge Management processes. The Assistant Vice Chancellor working in close collaboration with Educational Technology to ensure that the computer/teaching labs support and enhance teaching & learning for our faculty & students. In addition, the AVC working in close collaboration with COCM (UMass Boston’s on-campus housing partner) will provide IT Client Services to meet the needs of UMass Boston’s residential student community. The incumbent must effectively communicate and collaborate with leadership, faculty, staff and students across the University to develop stronger partnerships between IT and the community and to ensure that IT Client Services is positioned to meet the current and future needs of UMass Boston.
Examples of Duties:
- Develop and manage an integrated client services approach that minimizes artificial organizational boundaries and focuses on delivering seamless, streamlined and effective support for IT customers across the campus. This includes support for all UMass Boston student, faculty, staff for all IT services regardless of the providing organization (UMass Boston IT, UITS, etc.);
- Develop and manage effective processes for customers to report and track IT incidents and problems;
- Implement effective processes and tools that facilitate pattern analysis and enable proactive approaches that minimize or avoids service disruptions for the customer;
- Develop and manage both proactive and reactive communications with UMass Boston IT customers to ensure they are encouraged to utilize IT services and are aware of any potential service issues and/or disruptions;
- Develop and manage a process for the effective onboarding of all new UMass Boston IT customers, particularly new faculty and executives;
Using ITSM principles
- In partnership with the IT Business Applications team, enhance the deployment of ServiceNow, to meet the needs of IT Service Management, and subsequently to support the service management needs of other UMB organizations including Facilities, Finance and Human Resources;
- Develop and manage UMass Boston IT Catalog of Services, accompanying Service Management processes, and Service Level Agreements (SLA’s) that help customers understand what IT services exist and what to expect, automate the process to request and acquire services wherever possible;
- Develop and manage an internal catalog of IT services, service owners, dependencies and interrelationships of technology components that facilitates the resolution of complex IT issues and enables front-facing staff to more effectively manage IT Service recovery and delivery;
- Engage in IT project initiation and management, project portfolio management, and change management; coordinate new and modified service rollouts with service owners and community members, ensuring accurate and accessible documentation and knowledge articles, support services, communications, and marketing information for the campus;
- Working closely with Systems, Network and Operations – help deploy, manage and support modern VDI solutions to allow seamless access to software from anywhere using any platform
- Deploy, manage and support the next-generation pay-for-print service system across the campus and residential hall
- Use automation tools; for example, Kace, JAMPF, Bomgar etc. to provide timely service to faculty and staff
- Use Call Automation Systems to help deliver superior service to faculty, staff and students
Project Management & Analytics
- Implement tools and develop procedures that ensure the capture, organization, sharing and re-use of a broad spectrum of IT knowledge to enable more self-sufficiency and better service delivery;
- Ensure that there are processes and systems in place to systematically collect and affectively apply customer feedback to the improvement of IT services;
- Develop dynamic processes and procedures that ensure consistent service delivery by a large and diverse staff; develop staff knowledge and skillsets to continuously increase the range of IT issues that get resolved at the first point of contact;
- Manage complex projects (both technically and logistically) including project planning, design, implementation, staff allocation, schedule, budget, and measurement of team performance to ensure client satisfaction;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Communications or a closely related field, and a minimum of ten (10) years of senior IT leadership experience, preferably within a complex organization encompassing strategic planning, complex organizational structures, project planning, budgeting and management, and process transformation, required. Experience with facilitating change within a long-established structure preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of the spectrum of IT activities, including technology infrastructure, academic computing, administrative systems, IT customer support, and community outreach activities;
- Demonstrated experience in implementing ITSM processes such as Service management, Problem management, Change management, etc.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in implementing and working in modern ITSM systems such as ServiceNow. Certified in ITIL
- Demonstrated success bringing disparate groups together to achieve results;
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and advancing a diverse and inclusive workforce;
- Demonstrated capacity to foster trust and develop the talents and expertise of staff so that they are able to assume expanded responsibilities;
- Demonstrated and exceptional customer-focus and service orientation;
- Proven ability to recruit and retain well-qualified, high performing professionals and empower them to succeed.
- Astute listening skills, ability to work in a chaotic environment with competing priorities with some tolerance for ambiguity.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
This is a non-union position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.