Compensation & Benefits Analyst
Job no: 503817
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Human Resources
Date opened: Eastern Standard Time
Reporting to the Director of Compensation and Benefits, the Compensation and Benefits Analyst plays an important role in ensuring the competitiveness and effectiveness of the University's compensation and benefits programs as well as alignment with Federal, State and University regulations, policies, and guidelines. The Analyst works closely with the Director, staff in colleges and departments and individual employees to identify and resolve various inquiries and problems related to pay and benefits.
Examples of Duties:
- Ensure compensation and benefits programs are administered in compliance with Federal and State regulations and laws, collective bargaining agreements and University policies.
- May lead or participate in market and salary surveys and research compensation trends.
- Monitor reviews of compensation and benefits packages to maintain market competitiveness.
- Participate in regular benchmarking processes and analyze industry data to evaluate roles and determine competitiveness of salaries and total compensation by market.
- Design and build compensation metrics, reports and tools to inform compensation program decisions and analyze business outcomes.
- Work with HR Partners and department leaders to provide appropriate guidance regarding pay decisions, policies, and job evaluation.
- Lead the gathering of insights by researching and networking with other companies to keep abreast of best practices and trends in compensation.
- Create materials to effectively communicate compensation programs, policies, and practices to employees and leaders.
- Administer the annual process for salary increases including system set-up, validation of data and distribution of reports.
- Answer employee queries on compensation and benefit matters.
- May assist in the orientation of new employees and coordinate communication of changes in compensation and benefits information to employees.
- Help prepare government filings, plan audits, or other tax-reporting requirements.
- Ensure compliance with Data Privacy and Protection Guidelines.
- Under the direction of the Director, Compensation and Benefits, may interact with outside partners such as benefits vendors and insurance brokers
- Ensure that the University's pay practices comply with federal and state laws and regulations such as workers' compensation, overtime, and equal pay laws.
- Administer the organization's benefits programs, which include retirement plans, leave policies, wellness programs, and insurance policies, such as health, life, and disability insurance.
- May write or evaluate position descriptions to determine the correct classification and salary
- Under the direction of the Director, Compensation, and Benefits, responsible for the administration and management of all medically based leaves, including Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), collective bargaining agreement medical leaves, workers compensation and leaves that serve as reasonable accommodations under the American with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Ensure that the leave policies and any workplace accommodations are adhered to, that all employees are afforded access to leave policies and procedures and that campus managers are aware of and comply with such requirements.
- Implement processes to track and monitor leaves, accommodations, and systems to develop performance metrics.
- Administer and manage all services, programs and process of the university's leave programs, including but not limited to Workers Compensation, Sick Leave Bank, workplace accommodations and return to work; ensure that employees who qualify for services are provided reasonable and appropriate accommodations.
- Maintain professional knowledge of FMLA, statutory and contractual leaves, UMass Board of Trustee Policies, American with Disabilities Act (ADA) legislation and case law; serve as a resource for faculty and staff regarding information related to the ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
- Oversee the intake process, including determinations documentation standards for employees with disabilities in accordance with the Association of Higher Education and Disabilities (AHEAD) guidelines and as required by the ADA (ADA, 1990; ADAAA 2008} and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
- Responsible for all aspects of Workers Compensation on behalf of the university, including administering and maintaining all notices of injury/accident reports, follow-up documentation and return to work procedures.
- Consult with HR partners and provide proactive guidance and coaching to area departments regarding leaves, return to work procedures and implementation of accommodations for employees with disabilities.
- Work with the Senior Director of HR Operations in developing statistics that relate to FMLA leaves, workers compensation, and other benefit programs; collect data specific to leaves, Workers Compensation and return to work and analyze, identify trends and provide advice regarding compliance and activities needed for improvements and to minimize risk.
- Maintain confidential and other records such as employee personnel files, medical records files, sick leave bank, and attendance records; prepare correspondence pertaining to all aspects of confidential time and leave issues, medical documentation, extended sick leave bank, long-term disability program.
- Work collaboratively with other HR units, including Data Unit/Payroll and Labor Relations to ensure access to leave information and the processing of paid and unpaid leaves and benefits; resolve issues regarding attendance records, leave status, payroll status and benefits issues as appropriate.
- Develop and implement FMLA and leave training and educational programs.
- Research, compile and analyze employee records and data to assist with analysis of leave usage for use in workers compensation cases, grievances and other appeal forums.
- Takes initiative as appropriate and performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant discipline from an accredited U.S. university
- Five to seven (5-7) years of relevant experience in administering and advising on compensation and benefits programs
- Excellent mathematics proficiency
- Experience working with HR systems and technology
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Tools including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Demonstrated experience providing guidance and coaching to department managers regarding leaves, return to work procedures and implementation of return to work procedures
- Demonstrated experience in human resources administration in a complex organization, including documenting, developing and interpreting policies and procedures
- Ability to understand the critical importance of confidentiality and ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Strong commitment to customer service
- Strong project management and project planning skills;
- Master's Degree
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of HR processes and HRIS systems (preferably PeopleSoft)
- Prior experience working in a unionized environment.
- Prior human resource experience in higher education or the public sector
- Knowledge of functional limitation of a wide variety of disabling conditions, including but not limited to learning disabilities, medical conditions, psychiatric conditions, physical impairments, visual and deaf and hard of hearing disabilities preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of federal and state laws, practices, rules, and regulations in areas of labor, employment and workplace regulations including but not limited to FMLA, maternity and paternity, ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and EEO
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and strategically in a team environment with a broad range of staff to accomplish goals
- Ability to effectively communicate with diverse groups of individuals and departments to assess and reconcile work situations
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
This is a non-union position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.