General Summary of Position:
Incumbents of positions in this series perform custodial, grounds keeping or maintenance tasks in a state educational institution. The basic purpose of this work is performing various manual tasks required for the routine maintenance of the buildings and grounds of an educational campus.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
Applicants must have at least (A) two years full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in building custodial or institution housekeeping work; or greenskeeping, landscaping, groundskeeping, park maintenance or tree maintenance work, of which (B) at least one year must have been in a supervisory capacity, or (C) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below:
I. An Associate’s or higher degree with a major in forestry or landscape architecture may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required (A) experience.*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
1. Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
2. Ability to work in a team setting.
3. Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
4. Ability to stand for prolonged period of time.
5. Ability to climb and work from ladders and scaffold.
7. Physical stamina and endurance.
8. Ability to work efficiently & productively both independently in team setting.
9. Ability to operate tree trimming equipment.
10. Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
11. Knowledge of the methods followed in building custodial, maintenance, and groundskeeping work.
12. Knowledge of the types and uses of materials, tools and equipment used in building, maintenance, and groundskeeping work.
13. Knowledge of the terminology and standard abbreviations used in connection with groundskeeping.
14. Knowledge of the proper care and maintenance of equipment used in groundskeeping.
15. Knowledge of the types and uses of hand-held power tools such as chain saws, hedge trimmers, etc.
16. Knowledge of the techniques followed in weed control.
17. Knowledge of the procedures followed in pruning and cutting trees.
- 24-hour on-call during inclement weather and ability and willingness to be Essential Personnel
- Current DOT Medical Card
- Current MA Hoisting License, minimum of 2C
- Certified Arborist
- Experience in sports field maintenance
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit a resume with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application. Submission of a cover letter is optional.