Post Doctoral Research Associate - Vision Disease Research
Job no: 515299
Work type: Post Doc (Amherst Only)
Campus: UMass Amherst
Categories: Research, College of Natural Sciences
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich, inclusive, cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. pastoral and safe setting close to major urban centers.
The Jensen Lab has an immediately available postdoc position funded by the Foundation Fighting Blindness to work on the zebrafish model of Stargardt Disease (juvenile onset macular degeneration) our lab created. Stargardt disease affects more than 1:8,000 people.
- Supervise undergraduates.
- Breed zebrafish and does zebrafish husbandry.
- Perform confocal microscopy and image analysis.
- Use FACs analyses to isolate cell populations.
- Perform RNA-seq on select cell populations.
- Use common molecular biology techniques.
- Write manuscripts on research.
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness.
- Work in partnership with colleagues within the CNS community and across the campus to support the Dean’s strategic priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the mission and goals of the College of Natural Sciences.
- A PhD in biological sciences (such as: Neurosciences or Cell and Molecular Biology).
- Preference will be given to a relatively recent Ph.D. who wishes to collaborate on existing projects while pursuing a path toward an independent career.
- Salary will meet the NIH postdoctoral fellowships scale.
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until filled.
As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, CNS seeks an individual with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. (https://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend