About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Installs, maintains, operates, repairs and/or initiates repairs on building systems such as; pneumatic/electric, electronic, electro-mechanical controls, refrigeration, air conditioning, equipment and related heating and ventilation (HVAC) systems, and their related controllers and controlled devices. Employing the use and need of specialized testing and monitoring, diagnostic equipment; works synchronously with other Control Technicians / trade personnel maintaining the building systems integrity, exercises functional supervision of other employees performing related repair and maintenance activities. This is a maintenance function, which includes overtime and returning to work between shifts when directed or called. It’s also your responsibility to update the Service Desk with your current phone number.
- Inspects, maintains, repairs, instructs, advises and mentors employees, technicians and journeymen, in the operation and maintenance of the Campus’s Energy Management Systems, H.V.A.C. systems and their related components, including but not limited to, pneumatic/electric controls, electronic controls, electro-mechanical controls, computer soft-ware program controls. Including air conditioning, refrigeration systems, and equipment, including but not limited to, absorption, centrifugal and reciprocal units, and their controllers and controlled devices.
- Acts as a first responder inspecting, testing, trouble shooting, repairing and initiating repairs for all control systems, including but not limited to pneumatic/electric, electronic, electro-mechanical, soft-ware program controls in context with the building’s HVAC, hydronic, electrical and plumbing systems and their related controllers and controlled devices. This requires using electrical, electronic testing, microprocessor diagnostic equipment, and pressure gauges. Interacts with contractors relating to the operation, maintenance, and repair of various controls systems on campus.
- Provides preventive maintenance and preventive maintenance services on pneumatic/electric, electronic, electro-mechanical controls and absorption, centrifugal and reciprocal units, documents work performed, in the equipment maintenance history file. Utilize computer programs that operate, maintain, calibrate, and adjust building HVAC systems, their subsystems, and related and devices to maintain an energy efficient building system campus wide.
- Maintain and develop, operational, procedural and emergency response standards, for the controls and air conditioning, refrigeration systems and their related equipment, to provide timely systems failure notification and repair response, minimizing equipment down time campus wide.
- Assist Engineering staff in drawing review, inspection, troubleshooting as part of the acceptance of new HVAC, refrigeration and controls equipment, new buildings, upgrade and equipment replacement, and associated software support.
- The ability to drive a motorized vehicle around campus to University buildings.
- Practices and promotes excellent customer service in the work place, and exhibits a clear commitment to the diverse needs of customers.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Minimum 5 years experience in the HVAC and refrigeration trade, preferably in the Industrial, Commercial arena (full time or equivalent part time)* or an Associate’s degree with a major in a technical discipline and three years experience in the trade.
- Knowledge of the installation, construction, repair and maintenance of Chillers 30 ton and larger.
- Skill and knowledge in the operation of pneumatic/electric, electronic, electro-mechanical, software program controls systems.
- Ability to climb ladders, work from platforms, work in mechanical rooms.
- Skill and knowledge of building control systems, in context with, HVAC and refrigeration systems. The controls systems to include but not limited to; pneumatic/electric, electronic, electro-mechanical, software program controls systems, with and a high degree of technical competency in the following fields: heating, ventilation, air conditioning, hydraulic, steam, or force air systems and their related components.
- Skill and knowledge in the air conditioning / refrigeration field with a degree of technical competency including but not limited to, absorption, centrifugal and reciprocal units and their related components.
- Skill and knowledge to respond promptly towards successful resolution of control, air conditioning, and refrigeration system deficiencies, under any type of conditions (normal or emergency) without supervision.
- Skill and knowledge to interpret blue prints, schematics, elementary diagrams, logic diagrams associated with all HVAC systems, the ability to generate, implement, understand, and respond to verbal and written instructions.
- Knowledge of safety practices, preventive maintenance practices and the operation of standard testing equipment.
- Skill and ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of basic plumbing.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Possession and maintenance of a current and valid class D Driver’s License.
- Metasys Facility Operators Certificate - must complete certification within one year of hiring.
- CFC certification.
- Massachusetts Refrigeration License.
- Oil Burner Certificate or License.
Must wear university clothing when supplied.
Work Schedule (2)
Monday – Friday, 3:00PM- 11PM (40 hours per week)
Tuesday-Saturday 7:00AM- 3:00PM (40 hours per week)
Grade 16, Special Recruitment Rate: Step 6
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit 3 professional references
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.