Job no: 503762
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Human Resources
Date opened: Eastern Standard Time
The Benefits Manager will manage and oversee the day-to-day operations of benefits administration for all employees. The Benefits Manager will provide training to the HR staff on benefits-related updates and changes, and ensure the proper maintenance of required benefit records in accordance with state and federal regulations. The incumbent will serve as campus liaison to the Group Insurance Commission (GIC) in regards to all aspects of health, life, and long-term disability insurance; will manage yearly open enrollment for the university; and will provide assistance and consultation to employees with differentiating health insurance plans. S/he will also serve as the point person for retiring employees and the GIC. The incumbent will meet with employees, provide information on the processing of retiree health care; provide overview of other health insurance options in retirement; and process salary verifications for the processing of previous state time for retirement. The Benefits Manager will also manage all health care spending and dependent care savings for the university.
Examples of Duties:
- Manage and coordinate the day-to-day operations of the benefits unit within the Department of Human Resources; advise HR staff on benefits-related updates and changes that may impact university staff; ensure the proper maintenance of required benefit-related records in accordance with state and federal regulations;
- Serve as campus liaison to the Group Insurance Commission (GIC) with regards to all aspects of health, life and long-term disability insurance; provide updates to employees with the most current information on GIC benefits, including changes in special enrollment and changes in coverage; receive changes in benefits from employees and forward to GIC; stay abreast of all GIC changes, as well as rules-qualifying events;
- Manage, coordinate, and direct activities to ensure seamless yearly open enrollment, health/ benefits fairs; onboarding, new staff orientations for the university while presenting updated and accurate information;
- Provide assistance and consultation to employees with differentiating the health insurance plans; receive and review all health insurance paperwork to ensure that all information is complete and accurate; provide information to employees on other benefit-related options, including long-term disability and optional life insurance and assist them in the completion of required paperwork;
- Serve as university point person for retiring employees and the GIC; meet with retiring employee or potential retiring employee and provide information on the processing of retiree health care, including cost, direct billing, retiree deduction timing and mandatory Medicare Type A and B enrollment; provide overview of other health insurance options in retirement; process salary verifications with regards to calculation of pensions, leave of absences, dates of employment, etc. for the processing of buy back of previous state time for retirement;
- Serve as university liaison to dental carrier for non-unit and faculty; provide employees with updated books and information pertaining to eligibility, as well as coverage updates or changes; process enrollments, additions, and deletions;
- Provide oversight over other benefit-related programs, including but not limited to. Metlife Insurance, credit union, Fidelity, Benefit Strategies, Valic, supplemental retirement (403b/457b), Smart Plan, employee assistance program, employee discount program; ensure that university staff are kept abreast of changes in such programs;
- Manage and oversee the health care spending and dependent care savings account for staff; prepare and send enrollment letters to all staff and faculty of enrollment information; provide one-on-one consultation with staff on how the benefit works and ensure that all employees understand all IRS rules; process enrollment paperwork, enter deductions into PeopleSoft and delete account for terminated employees;
- Administer the university’s Workers’ Compensation program for employees, including all eligibility requirements, claims, documentation and other related procedures; serve as the university’s liaison with the state Human Resources Division Worker’s Compensation Unit; provide guidance to both the employee and the supervisor on the process; may need to coordinate accommodation(s) to meet the needs of the employee; when necessary, work with Worker’s Compensation attorneys regarding recommendations for settlement amounts;
- Respond to inquiries from the State Board of Retirement, Group Insurance Commission, Board of Higher Education and other benefit-related agencies; receive and respond to inquiries from agency staff and provide counseling to employees regarding health, life, disability insurance, retirement options and benefits after retirement, as well as deferred compensation plans and/or tax-sheltered annuity programs;
- Provide information and guidance to non-benefited employees relating to other benefit options, including the pre-tax 125 cafeteria plan and the Massachusetts Health Connector; work with the employee and the President’s Office to enroll employee;
- Work effectively with the Director of Compensation & Benefits as a member of the leadership team providing input on relevant benefits-related issues and service needs;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Management or a closely related field and a minimum of five-seven years of benefits administration experience is required. Knowledge of PeopleSoft 9.0 and other reporting tools is preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and other administrative software applications;
- Knowledge of employee benefits available to Commonwealth of Massachusetts employees;
- Knowledge of rules and regulations related to FMLA and its application to university employees;
- Knowledge of bargaining unit contracts as they pertain to various types of employee benefits;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of information and discretion in handling and disseminating confidential information;
- Ability to explain the procedures, guidelines, and policies governing benefits and administration;
- Ability to work in a team setting;
- Ability to deal tactfully with other employees and with customers;
- Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of personnel data, draw conclusions and make appropriate recommendations;
- Knowledge of industry trends and best practices;
- Ability to work effectively and handle multiple tasks with rapidly changing priorities and deadlines;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
This is a non-union position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.