Director of Talent Acquisition and Customer Solutions
Job no: 497875
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Human Resources
Date opened: Eastern Standard Time
In 2018, U.S. News & World Report ranked the University of Massachusetts Boston in the first tier of national universities for the third year in a row and by the Princeton Review as one of its “Best in the Northeast” colleges. The University of Massachusetts Boston Human Resources function is building a new senior management team. Under the direction of the Vice Chancellor Human Resources and in support of the Interim Chancellor’s strategic and operational priorities, the new leadership team and their departments will implement the University’s vision of the recruitment and retention of world-class talent, the delivery of outstanding HR customer service to the university community, the creation of an accountability culture and the development and execution of a long-term labor relations strategy.
The Director of Talent Acquisition and Customer Solutions is responsible for providing strategic leadership to the Talent Acquisition and Customer Solutions (HR Business Partner) functions and employing cutting edge thinking, the use of innovation and proven best practices to deliver a world-class talent pool and superior HR customer service. This individual is responsible for the development and execution of a university-wide talent acquisition strategy that provides the University of Massachusetts Boston (UMB) with a competitive advantage in acquiring talent and one that is aligned with the UMass Boston culture and values. This strategy will include but not be limited to branding, customized local, regional and national recruitment plans, executive search capability and effective new hire pre-boarding and onboarding. The Talent Acquisition Manager works as a strategic partner and as a member of the HR leadership team with campus constituencies to support diversity initiatives and foster productive relationships with candidates, hiring departments, and the University community.
This senior leader also will design and execute a customer solutions (business partner) model that significantly improves the delivery of human resources services to the University executive leadership team and their organizations. The Director will oversee a team of Customer Solutions Representatives responsible for developing and maintaining effective working relationships between Human Resources and the respective Vice Chancellor and Dean areas of responsibility. The Customer Solutions Representatives act as a single point of contact for Vice Chancellors, Deans and their staffs for all recruiting, employment, compensation, employee relations and training and development matters and serve as a liaison with the functional HR areas.
Examples of Duties:
- Lead, develop, and coach a team of Talent Acquisition professionals, demonstrating excellent people management and leadership skills, and ensuring strong team capabilities and service delivery. Serve as a mentor and subject matter expert to guide and set performance standards for the team.
- Design and manage full cycle recruitment strategies and processes related to sourcing, screening, interviewing, selection, and hiring for all faculty, staff and support positions, ensuring UMass Boston’s access to a robust talent pipeline and ability to recruit a diverse pool of world-class talent.
- In conjunction with the Chancellor, the Vice Chancellor, Human Resources and the Director of Compensation and Benefits; plan, develop and deliver an integrated suite of talent management, performance management, and compensation programs.
- Partner with the Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs to develop and implement faculty hiring strategies.
- Act as trusted advisor to the executive leadership team, other senior leaders, hiring managers and HR Customer Solutions Representatives to understand the University’s hiring needs and develop creative recruitment strategies for acquiring top talent from diverse communities.
- Serve as a content expert resource and/or project lead for various strategic initiatives such as hiring process improvements, benchmarking time-to-fill metrics and branding UMass Boston as an employer of choice.
- Serve as primary advisor to campus leadership and labor relations staff on recruiting process design as it relates to a unionized staff and collective bargaining.
- Assessment of training needs in university chancelleries and departments and development of relevant training programs.
- Serve as liaison with Executive Search Firms and/or Staffing agencies as business needs arise.
- Regularly review talent acquisition vendor performance and contracts to ensure compliance and positive experience for human resources, candidates and hiring managers.
- Maintain membership in regional and national academic and professional HR organizations with a focus on leading, advancing and influencing the management of HR and widespread use of industry best practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Oversee Customer Solutions Representative planning, development and implementation of HR business plans that are aligned to both the overall University strategic priorities and to specific Provost, Vice Chancellor and Dean area needs.
- Strategize, influence and execute Vice Chancellor area-wide programs related to Recruitment, Compensation, Performance Management, and Talent Management initiatives.
- Develop human resources strategies to meet changing academic and business needs through organizational structure redesign, succession planning, creation of new positions and roles and the effective use of communication strategies.
- Provide direction and tools for Vice Chancellors and Deans to continually assess changing skill set needs, skill levels and skill gaps, overall team effectiveness and effectiveness of retention and performance management initiatives. Conduct training and development sessions as required to meet challenges posed by workforce skill gaps.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university and a minimum of 9 years of progressive experience in talent acquisition or recruitment including practice within a large organization or as a consultant with prior management experience. Demonstrated ability to develop and execute workforce planning, targeted recruitment, and executive search programs is required. In-depth knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to recruitment, hiring, screening and selection and experience with various recruiting technologies and cloud/web-based platforms are required. Demonstrated analytical skills, strong consulting, communication and relationship management skills required. Strong interpersonal communications effectiveness, including verbal, written, presentation and persuasion skills required. Strong influencing, negotiation and communication skills with the ability to present ideas at the senior level and gain executive buy-in and alignment around key priorities. Track record of success managing talent acquisition operations required.
- Familiarity with state or municipal unionized environments and the administration of recruitment and hiring programs in such environments
- Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline.
- Expert knowledge of recruitment and hiring metrics with a particular focus on higher education organizations.
- Demonstrated professional success in a higher education environment.
- Expert knowledge of MS Office Products.
- Demonstrated professional success in a large public organization.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
This is a non-union position.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other legally protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
UMass Boston normally does not provide H-1B visa sponsorship for non-academic positions.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.