Undergraduate Studies Coordinator
Job no: 498180
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Undergraduate Studies
Pay Grade: 29
Date opened: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
The Undergraduate Studies Coordinator will be the main initial point of contact for students requesting information about university undergraduate degree requirements and the general education program. The incumbent will be the primary intake person for students who are seeking waivers of general education requirements and academic policies; will work closely with the Associate Vice Provost and Associate Director, and the Writing Proficiency office on student issues; and will make recommendations regarding student requests using established standards and practices of the office. The incumbent will have access to university course and student record databases and systems and will be responsible for updating student records and/or communicating decisions to the Registrar’s Office. The Coordinator will also maintain a database of all student requests, the decisions made, and other relevant information and will compile regular statistics and reports. The Coordinator will focus on general education waivers, retroactive withdrawals, and elementary language determination, credit overload requests, inter-college transfers, and advising.
Examples of Duties:
- Meet with students to provide information regarding General Education and university requirements (including Writing Proficiency) and explain policies and procedures for a variety of requests; refer students as needed to advising and other support services;
- Evaluate student requests for waivers of general education requirements and make recommendations to the Associate Director and Associate Vice Provost, notifying students and the Registrar’s Office of decisions;
- Adjudicate requests for late in-semester retroactive drops and withdrawals and changes of grades;
- Adjudicate requests for credit overloads, in consultation with the Associate Director, and notify students and the Registrar’s Office of decisions;
- Evaluate inter-college transfer requests and make recommendations to the Associate Director;
- Adjudicate requests for elementary language proficiency determination, in consultation with the Associate Director, for students offering credentials after matriculation;
- Prepare files for individual major applications for review by the Assistant Director and the Majors, Honors and Special Programs Committee and notify students if additional information is needed and of decisions;
- Work with the Undergraduate Studies Associate Director on data management, compiling summary statistics and reports of student requests and outcomes;
- Collaborate with representatives from the Registrar’s Office and the University Advising Center to ensure consistency in evaluating requests related to General Education requirements;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of one-three years of experience working directly with students, preferably in advising and/or student services, is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of UMass Boston’s General Education requirements and academic policies preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflict and operate effectively in a high stress environment;
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Strong commitment to student and customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.