Clinical Placement Specialist, Undergraduate Nursing
Job no: 498026
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: CNHS - Dean's Office
Pay Grade: 30
Date opened: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
The College of Nursing and Health Sciences (CNHS) Undergraduate Nursing Clinical Placement Specialist will work with all aspects of placing students in clinical learning experiences for Traditional and Accelerated undergraduate nursing programs. The incumbent will work directly with the Undergraduate Program Directors, coordinators, faculty, and program assistants to obtain clinical experiences and to develop clinical partnerships. The incumbent will also collaborate with the above and Clinical and Internship Placement Office (CIPO) colleagues to evaluate the efficacy of placement experiences and student success. Serving as an integral member of the CIPO, the Undergraduate Nursing Clinical Placement Specialist will be cross-trained to assist other CIPO staff to ensure that contracts between the University and clinical placement agencies are completed in a timely manner and that students are in compliance with working agreement stipulations regarding all clinical clearance requirements. The Undergraduate Nursing Clinical Placement Specialist reports to and is directly supervised by the CIPO Supervisor.
Examples of Duties:
- Collaborate with the Undergraduate Program Directors, Clinical and Internship Placement Office (CIPO), faculty and coordinators to develop, evaluate and refine a placement process for undergraduate nursing clinical experiences;
- Collaborate with CIPO colleagues and program assistants to implement a timeline for communicating agency-specific requirements to students and clinical faculty, such as additional health requirements, background requirements, site-specific forms, orientations, computer classes, completion of training modules within the Centralized Clinical Placement (CCP) or other software developed by the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education;
- Collaborate directly with the Undergraduate Program Directors, faculty and coordinators to secure placements in clinical education experiences deemed appropriate by the program;
- Establish and maintain working partnerships with agency liaison personnel for the purpose of requesting, securing, and communicating student placements and preceptorships within CCP or other software, and to remain up to date on agency changes that would affect placements (e.g. reorganization, personnel changes, mergers, unit closing etc.);
- Utilize CNHS database InPlace Solutions to record, maintain, and communicate placement details and clearance status to undergraduate program faculty, staff and students;
- Take the lead role in developing and updating coaching tutorials for students in order for them to successfully use placement software;
- Report all contractual and clinical information, including but not limited to, health, CORI, agency evaluations, clinical incidents, and other required public information, to appropriate CIPO staff, Supervisor, Program Directors, faculty or staff, and to clinical, state, and regulatory agencies as required;
- Collaborate with various CNHS staff and faculty to maintain and appropriately disseminate data about student progress towards successful placement;
- Evaluate the efficacy of the preceptor and placement site in terms of meeting course and program outcomes and certification requirements with recommendations to the Program Directors and faculty regarding the continuing use of the site for future placements;
- Advise the CIPO supervisor, InPlace Solutions, or similar software stakeholders concerning upgrades and future development needs of the database to meet changing clinical placement requirements, and/or administrative needs;
- Contribute summaries of data and evaluations for accreditation reports and the CNHS annual report;
- Attend agency meetings in the role of the CNHS clinical placement liaison focusing on undergraduate programs and as a representative of CIPO;
- Participate in relevant CNHS meetings and functions including Information and Orientation Sessions and appropriate program meetings and retreats;
- Participate in the collection of evaluation data from agencies, faculty, and students for the purposes of quality improvement and site suitability;
- As requested by CIPO Supervisor, may assist in the establishment and maintenance of agency affiliation agreements;
- As requested by the CIPO Supervisor, may assist in the collection, maintenance and recording of all student information about clinical clearances, including but not limited to, current health and criminal background check requirements processed into the CNHS databases, background check systems, and student files;
- Serve as the first-line interface between CIPO and undergraduate students regarding clinical placements, and respond to such inquiries in a timely manner;
- Perform responsibilities according to time frames developed collaboratively with all relevant participants;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree required.
- An additional one-three years of work experience in health care or a closely related field is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and other software systems;
- Ability to analyze data and other information utilizing and maintaining spreadsheets and databases;
- Ability to access and enter data from information management systems and student information systems accurately;
- Ability to develop processes and policies that foster the development of effective placement relationships, and efficient and economical task management;
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative setting with diverse constituencies;
- Ability to handle multiple projects at the same time and remain highly organized;
- Ability to prepare written reports, correspondence, and recommendations;
- Ability to work independently and efficiently;
- Ability to work under pressure and under timeframes;
- Ability to handle confidential material;
- Ability to effectively and efficiently work in a team capacity with a broad range of staff to accomplish program goals;
- Strong written and oral communication skills, organizational skills, and interpersonal skills, including the capacity to work cooperatively with a wide range of individuals;
- Strong commitment to customer and student service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.