Director of Compensation and Benefits
Job no: 497854
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Human Resources
Date opened: Eastern Standard Time
In 2018, U.S. News & World Report ranked the University of Massachusetts Boston in the first tier of national universities for the third year in a row and by the Princeton Review as one of its “Best in the Northeast” colleges. The University of Massachusetts Boston Human Resources function is building a new senior management team. Under the direction of the Vice Chancellor Human Resources and in support of the Interim Chancellor’s strategic and operational priorities, the new leadership team and their departments will implement the University’s vision of the recruitment and retention of world-class talent, the delivery of outstanding HR customer service to the university community, the creation of an accountability culture and the development and execution of a long-term labor relations strategy.
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor, Human Resources Officer, the Director of Compensation and Benefits is responsible for designing, developing, implementing and managing compensation and benefits programs for the University of Massachusetts Boston (UMB). The role includes consultation to executive leadership, management, and human resources colleagues regarding compensation and benefits programs, policies and practices and responsibility for ensuring program compliance with federal and state requirements and collective bargaining agreements.
The Director of Compensation and Benefits is responsible for ensuring that the UMB compensation and benefits programs remain competitive in order to attract and retain world-class talent and conform to the UMB compensation philosophy and strategy. While including the administration of traditional job evaluation, base salary, and benefits programs, this individual is also responsible for research and leadership on new compensation, rewards and benefits strategies, and market trends. The design and management of market-based compensation programs that are compliant with federal and state requirements and collective bargaining agreements is a priority for the University and for this role.
Examples of Duties:
- Supports the design, development and implementation of new compensation and recognition programs, the performance management process and other programs to meet the needs of the organization’s compensation strategies. Design and implement the transition to an electronic workflow;
- Oversees analytical studies in a variety of compensation areas, such as market data and internal equity, competitive pay practices, modeling of union and management proposals and emerging trends;
- In conjunction with the Vice Chancellor, Human Resources manages the university’s compensation program for the executive leadership team;
- Leads the annual salary administration processes. Develop a project plan and calendar and define roles and responsibilities. Ensure online tools are prepared to support the project, prepare a comprehensive report of findings and develop an executive summary presentation for review with the Chancellor and her/his designees;
- Supervises the Compensation Manager and the Benefits Manager and ensures that the services delivered and the administration of both programs continually meet customer expectations and human resources standards;
- Responsible for the on-going evaluation of the University’s compensation and benefits programs, assessing the effectiveness of existing policies, guidelines, architecture, and procedures;
- Ensures that all compensation and benefits communication programs are proactive, well communicated and easy to understand for all employees. Partner with other HR team members to develop, execute and communicate key programs to managers, supervisors, and employees;
- Oversees the participation in surveys to obtain external market information for union and non-union employee groups and the analysis of the cost impact of annual salary planning or market adjustments and benefit changes;
- Interprets results of compensation reports and analyses, synthesizes into business-relevant summaries for university leadership and human resources management team members;
- Provides advice and counsel to colleagues, Vice Chancellors, Deans and Department Heads regarding market trends, internal equity questions and concerns and hiring and promotion rates;
- Oversees the administration of benefits programs including insurance, retirement, parking, tuition credits, flexible spending accounts, and other employee benefits;
- Ensures benefits compliance with provisions of ERISA and annual government (5500) filings, and other regulatory agencies and requirements;
- Oversees the timely preparation and updating of job descriptions, as well as job evaluations, job audits and equity analyses for internal equity and market competitiveness;
- Assists managers in clarifying and improving job design, career ladders, generic functions, spans of control, occupational and other aspects of organizational design;
- Researches and recommends organizational/position classification studies in conjunction with restructuring and reorganization initiatives and/or collective bargaining planning;
- Provides effective direction, guidance, and leadership to the Compensation and Benefits staffs for team cohesiveness and motivation and superior service delivery;
- Ensures compliance with federal and state regulatory agencies and University policies and procedures. Develops and maintains procedures necessary for compliance with FLSA Guidelines and other regulatory requirements;
- Performs similar or related duties as required or directed and takes initiative where appropriate;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university and at least 9 years of progressive experience in compensation practice within a large organization or as a consultant with prior management experience. Requires in-depth knowledge of compensation theory, principles, and practices and in-depth knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to compensation such as FLSA, ADA, Wage and Hours, etc. Must demonstrate analytical skills, strong consulting, communication, and relationship management skills. Must be able to develop complex, multi-faceted compensation strategies. Must have strong interpersonal communications effectiveness, including verbal, written, presentation and persuasion skills with the ability to present ideas at the senior level and gain executive buy-in and alignment around key priorities. Must demonstrate a track record of success managing compensation and benefits analysis and administration.
- Familiarity with state or municipal unionized environments and the administration of compensation and benefits programs in such environments;
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field;
- Expert knowledge of benchmark compensation surveys and market data for higher education organizations;
- Strong knowledge of web-based compensation market data tools;
- Expert knowledge of MS Office Products;
- Demonstrated professional success in a large public organization;
- Experience working in a unionized environment.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
This is a non-union position.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.