Student Services Specialist
Job no: 497247
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: CNHS - Dean's Office
Pay Grade: 30
Date opened: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
The Student Services Specialist for the College of Nursing and Health Sciences (CNHS) will provide quality recruitment, orientation and academic advising and registration for students in the College of Nursing and Health Sciences. The incumbent is the first point of contact for students conversing advancing their education at the University of Massachusetts Boston and serves as the primary resource person for these students. The Student Services Specialist will also explain and interpret university policies and serves as an advocate for students when appropriate.
Examples of Duties:
- Serve as the first point of contact for current and/or interested students involved with the Nursing Program through the College of Nursing and Health Sciences (CNHS);
- Work with representatives from Admissions, Registrars and CNHS Student Services regarding the recruitment, retention, advising and registration of current and potential students in the online program;
- Provide comprehensive academic advising, through walk-in hours and/or appointments and group advising to new and current students in the College of Nursing and Health Sciences throughout the academic year and summer sessions; assist students in course selection, degree completion and meeting both general education and major requirements, as well as understanding university and college policies as they pertain to academic progress; identify and advise students in academic jeopardy;
- Monitor waitlists for CNHS courses and manually override the WISER system, as needed and as authorized to facilitate course enrollments; register students for courses in WISER if they needed manual overrides; works with CNHS Director of Student Services in review of these requests;
- Maintain all student records and files;
- Maintain compliance with Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and other state and federal regulations;
- Collaborate with the Director of Student Services in the development and scheduling of new student orientations; responsible for conducting group and individual advising sessions as part of the University-wide orientation program;
- Work with CNHS Director of Student Services and others on the implementation of enrollment management practices;
- Assist the CNHS Director of Student Services with the planning and implementing policies and procedures geared towards improving academic support services and advising systems designed to improve student retention; develop a plan to implement improvements and consult with the Director of Student Services regarding such implementation;
- Collaborate with staff members to support various office programs which include planning of convocation and commencement; participate in all university, collegiate and recruitment activities such as information sessions and University open houses;
- Participate in university-wide advising collaboration; attend professional conferences and professional training programs at the discretion of the Director of Student Services;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree and three- five (3-5) years of experience in academic advising and/or providing direct student services in higher education is required. Experience with university admissions systems and student record retrieval is preferred.
- Knowledge of software applications, including office software and database management;
- Knowledge of current student development theory and research;
- Proven ability to work with diverse populations;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to effectively and efficiently work in a team capacity with a broad range of staff to accomplish departmental and program goals;
- Ability to work independently and efficiently;
- Ability to work under pressure and under timeframes;
- Ability to handle multiple projects at the same time;
- Ability to supervise the work of work-study students;
- Ability to prepare written reports, correspondence, and recommendations;
- Strong commitment to customer service;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the capacity to work cooperatively with a wide range of individuals;
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 7 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.