Government Services Specialist
Job no: 496823
Position Type: Staff Part Time, Hourly
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: MGS-Collins Ctr for Public Mgt
Date opened: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
The Edward J. Collins, Jr. Center for Public Management in the McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies (MGS) is dedicated to improving the efficiency and effectiveness of government, with a particular focus on state and local government. The Center offers a comprehensive set of services to increase the productivity, performance, and accountability of government.
The Government Services Specialists (GSS) will support one or more of the service areas within the Center and will undertake assigned projects dependent upon the needs of the Center and the project. The GSS may be assigned to work within the analytics practice in support of assigned municipal, school district, regional or state agencies contributing to the development of data, analyses, visions, goals, strategies, and performance measures/indicators; may work within the government services area and contribute to studies for assigned municipal, state, or other public agency clients seeking to improve efficiency and effectiveness of their operations; or may assist the Center in research, grant writing, or other assignments as workload demands. The GSS may undertake extensive data-gathering and analyses.
These are limited-duration positions, dependent upon revenue generation; positions may be full or part-time depending on work demand. Tasks may involve working with assigned teams or more one-on-one with a supervisor/manager.
Examples of Duties:
- Work directly with a portfolio of municipalities to collect, analyze, and present data;
- Contribute to the development of performance management visions, goals, strategies, and performance measures in collaboration with municipal, state, and other public agency clients;
- Contribute to the development of strategic plans for government organizations;
- Engage in extensive data-gathering and analyses of data, including census data, survey and interview data, municipal financial, payroll and work order records, GIS data, etc.;
- Contribute to the evaluation of the effectiveness, efficiency, performance, or accountability of subject governmental agencies and/or programs through data analysis, interviews, best practices research, and other activities;
- Using research and analysis performed, draft recommendations of improvements to management structure, resource utilization and other aspects of municipal, state, or other public agency operations geared toward improved performance of government for review and approval by supervisor and team members;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Public Affairs, City and/or Regional Planning, Business Administration, or a closely related field, and a minimum of four-plus years of public or private sector experience is required. A Master’s degree can be substituted for two years of the above-required experience. Evening work and travel throughout the Commonwealth may be required.
- High degree of proficiency with standard software packages, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Excel, including pivot tables, and geographic information systems (GIS) is preferred.
- Experience in and/or subject matter expertise in public sector service delivery areas (e.g., public safety, economic development, public health, education, etc.) is preferred.
- Experience with statistical packages, such as SPSS, is preferred.
- Experience or interest in private or public sector performance management and/or in public sector service areas including, but not limited to, transportation planning, economic development, finance, public health, etc., preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to facilitate meetings with diverse stakeholders regarding complex topics;
- Familiarity with government operational, budgetary, legal and political environments;
- Exceptional written and presentation skills;
- Significant adaptability, flexibility, and creative problem-solving skills;
- Comfort working independently with multiple clients and/or on multiple projects;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Hourly Range: $32.00-$38.00.
This is a non-benefited position.
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.