Telecom and Infrastructure Business Manager
Job no: 496812
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: IT Comm & Infrastructure Serv
Pay Grade: 32
Date opened: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
The Telecommunications and Infrastructure Business Manager is responsible for the administrative and user interface functions of the Communication and Infrastructure Services (CIS) telecommunications group, as well as all business functions of the Information Technology Services (ITS) CIS group. The incumbent will administer and maintain the telecommunications billing software, such as MySoft, Compco, Pinnacle or other related Enterprise Telecom billing software packages; will administer the campus voicemail systems and other related unified communications technologies; and will supervise and manage telecommunications user services staff. As the head of the CIS business operations, the incumbent will also be responsible for the management of the CIS business functions, including but not limited to, developing and managing the Telecomm recharge operation budget; maintaining accounts receivables/payables, ProCard usage, and tracking; asset management; generating purchase orders and issuing periodic financial reports.
Examples of Duties:
- Responsible for the administrative and user interface functions of the Communication and Infrastructure (CIS) telecommunications user services group; administer and maintain the telecommunications billing software; supervise and manage telecommunications user services staff, including reviewing and approving time, conducting performance reviews and goal setting exercises and providing training;
- Review service agreements to ensure proper purchasing procedures are adhered to per the Massachusetts Higher Education Consortium (MHEC), Operational Services Division (OSD) and state contracts;
- Closely manage the maintenance and data entry in the telecom transaction database by direct reports to capture all financial billing and service request tickets;
- Maintain contract review, renewals, financing, and stewardship to insure the terms and conditions of support and maintenance contracts are understood and adhered to by both the campus and our partner vendors;
- Provide taxpayer verification review and associated functions to insure the campus tax-exempt status is incorporated into our quotes and purchase orders as well as our ongoing maintenance agreements;
- Manage direct reports and accuracy for all purchase orders, accounts and speed type accuracy for all transactions within the CIS group and associated departments; responsible for all accounts payable activities, including reviewing invoices for payment and accuracy and processing payments within allotted time frames to ensure payments are on time and accurate, ensuring adherence to ITS business office and university guidelines, policies and procedures;
- Develop change management processes to deploy and manage enhancements to the CRM/ERP billing software;
- Responsible for all telecom related recharges relative to telecommunication services, hardware (i.e. Verizon, Windstream, black box, UITS) and all other related services and equipment recharges that must be processed through the campus telecommunications billing software;
- Interface with the Office of the Controller regarding the establishment of telecom-related charges to ensure, among other things, compliance with federal regulations applicable to sponsored grants and contracts; participate, as required, in post-audit reviews;
- Responsible for vendor payments for all CIS services; responsible for campus internet service provider payments to UITS President’s Office and associated fees and billing;
- Responsible for all IT telecommunications and other trust fund account administration, including but not limited to check deposits, account balance maintenance, and proper reporting; responsible for accurate financial transaction reports to the IT business office and campus budget office;
- Responsible for all travel and cash reimbursements related to travel for the CIS department;
- Maintain accurate and complete financial reports for the Information Technology CIS unit;
- Responsible for the creation and distribution of the monthly billing cycle to all Telecom user services phone customers and partner vendors;
- Develop and implement a mobile phone lifecycle program accounting for procurement, provisioning, asset tracking, repair and/or replacement and decommission/recycling;
- Develop and maintain an accurate telecom inventory of mobile devices ad voice circuits; identity and execute on cost reduction opportunities;
- Review and summarize telecom-related contracts advising on risk avoidance and pricing strategy;
- Develop and document telecom-specific processes, procedures and knowledgebase articles to maintain efficient operations;
- Vigilantly manage the telecom op ex and cap ex-budget ensuring expenses are in line with budget and forecasts;
- Ensure that staff are running cycle invoices in a timely manner, creating monthly general ledger account, importing tariff rates into billing software, call record data storage in billing software, invoice record data storage in billing software;
- Responsible for monitoring the conversion and call costing logs in billing software;
- Responsible for the faculty and staff directory ensuring a single and accurate authoritative source directory and comparing data to what is listed in Microsoft Office and web and billing software, as well as working in conjunction with Human Resources;
- Partner with internal and external stakeholders to develop and implement a global Unified Collaboration strategy which is agile, scalable and cost-effective; define and drive key performance indicators for unified communication adoption and success;
- Drive a culture of continuous improvement and lean thinking, utilizing project management and agile methodology;
- Manage outsources and other third-party vendors and hold vendors accountable in a collaborative manner;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of five-seven (5-7) years of billing, purchasing, and business experience are required. Demonstrated experience working with CRM/ERP and/or Telecom financial systems required. Demonstrated experience creating system automation to better support campus-wide initiatives and/or improve existing processes required. Strong project management skills with a proven ability to estimate, plan and effectively execute and control projects to deliver agreed upon scope on time within budget required. Demonstrated experience in asset management and asset inventory management database development and operations required. Demonstrated experience with budget development and management and an understanding of generally accepted accounting principles required.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Familiarity with Massachusetts state contracts policies, procedures, and procurement guidelines preferred.
- Familiarity with OMB Circular A-21 and the principles it establishes for determining costs applicable to grants and contracts and other agreements with educational institutions preferred.
- Specific understanding of Telecom billing industry trends and standards preferred.
- Experience with Pinnacle billing software is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and ability to develop solutions within Microsoft Office suite and other administrative software programs;
- Ability to supervise the work performed by others;
- Ability to work collaboratively with individuals and other groups from a wide variety of backgrounds and organizational levels to incorporate ideas, adapt to needs and to facilitate consensus as required;
- Ability to work in a team environment, with a commitment to create and maintain team spirit and a harmonious working relationship while achieving goals;
- Ability to excel in a dynamic environment with competing priorities and projects;
- Ability to measure performance and effectiveness developing PKI to support said measurements;
- Ability to adapt to evolving service and technology paradigms;
- Ability to provide service delivery that meets the defined service levels to the user community;
- Strong project management skills with a proven ability to estimate, plan and effectively execute and control projects to deliver agreed upon scope on time within budget;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to coordinate and work with others to achieve assigned tasks;
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service, satisfaction, and support.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 7 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
Grade 32 position with salary associated with Grade 34.
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.