Job no: 496777
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Undergraduate Admissions
Pay Grade: 15
Date opened: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
The Receptionist within the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will provide routine administrative support for the department. The Receptionist will serve as first point of contact for the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and will respond to and provide routine information to both walk-in customers, as well as internal and external phone and e-mail inquiries and will respond to all Undergraduate Admissions departmental e-mails and voicemail messages; and will organize and schedule appointments with admission counselors for prospective students. The incumbent will also be responsible for maintaining the organizational appearance and inventory of materials for the reception and waiting area to support efficient operations in compliance with established departmental standards. The Receptionist will also be responsible for compiling data for use in monthly reports on visitors of the office for use in reporting departmental activities.
Examples of Duties:
- Serve as the first point of contact for the Office of Undergraduate Admissions; greet, provide general assistance to and guide students and visitors to the appropriate service providers; receive, sort and distribute mail to appropriate
- individual within assigned unit; prepare routine written correspondence and complete standard administrative forms;
- Respond to and provide routine information to both walk-in customers, as well as internal and external phone and email inquiries in the general admission mailbox, and when necessary, field inquires and/or forward calls and visitors to appropriate staff person and/or department;
- Manage the admissions' queuing system and voicemail system;retrieve,respond to and/or forward inquiries left on office voicemail system; record greetings on the voicemail messaging system; respond to all departmental e-mails and voicemail messages in a timely manner;
- Maintain the organizational appearance and inventory of materials of the reception and waiting area inside of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, as well as the literature rack in the lobby; stock reference and promotional materials, to support efficient operations in compliance with established departmental standards;
- Organize and schedule appointments with admission counselors for prospective students; make phone calls relating to appointments, including confirmation, rescheduling and cancellations; mail confirmation cards for scheduled appointments;
- Receive materials submitted by students and distribute to the appropriate staff person and/or area;
- Compile data for use in monthly report on visitors of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for use in reporting department activities;
- Manage the usage of the admissions conference room;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Incumbents must have at least two years of full-time, or equivalent part time, experience in office management, office administration, business administration or business management is required.
- Experience in a business office environment is preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with PeopleSoft is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of various software applications, including Microsoft Office;
- Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures;
- Familiarity with word processing and spreadsheets;
- Ability to deal effectively with a wide range of constituencies, including students, peers and faculty;
- Ability to maintain confidential matters and respond to written, telephone and direct walk-in inquiries;
- Ability to initiative and follow through on projects and special assignments;
- Ability to adjust to changing office priorities;
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional work references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date of December 11, 2018.
Bi-Weekly Salary: $1,639.72
Administrative Assistant I
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.