Senior Associate Controller
Job no: 496608
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Controller's Office
Date opened: Eastern Standard Time
Under the direction of the Director of Fiscal Operations and Controller, the Senior Associate Controller will assist the Controller with the daily operations of the Controller’s Office. The incumbent will ensure data integrity and accuracy within the University’s financial system, in compliance with state and federal regulations; will produce financial statements that are in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”); and will exercise sound judgment within defined accounting procedures and practice to analyze and resolve complex assignments where analysis of data requires review of a variety of factors and sources. The Senior Associate Controller will also recommend updates to policies and procedures as needed an implements approved changes.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervise, train and lead the accounting staff within the Controller’s office;
- Responsible for General Ledger upkeep and accuracy as well as all General Ledger reporting functions;
- Assist the Controller in formulating and implementing financial and accounting policies and procedures in conformance with Commonwealth of Massachusetts, University of Massachusetts President’s Office, University of Massachusetts Board of Trustees and campus policies;
- Prepare campus audited financial statements, including the Statement of Net Position, Statement of Revenue, Expenses and Changes in Net Positon and all other statements as required, in compliance with the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) financial reporting standards; generate and verify supplemental audit schedules required by University of Massachusetts President’s Office and external auditors (e.g. footnotes, proofs and fluctuation analysis);
- Prepare campus quarterly financial reports and work with Office of Budget and Financial Planning to monitor cash flow analysis for the purpose of planning and management of University resources to meet the needs of the University and maintain operating margin commitment;
- Generate and defend the Facilities and Administrative Cost Rate calculation in compliance with OMB Circular A-21 and other cost accounting standards/requirements and to facilitate negotiation/agreement with the United States Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS);
- Prepare other negotiated rate calculations (e.g. Workers’ compensation insurance rate, paid leave rate for Center for Survey Research) for agreement/approval by DHHS, and other related financial reports for campus and university audits;
- Maintain communications and relations with various University departments on matters that affect fiscal operations, as well as external agencies and institutions, including but not limited to; the University Controller, University Treasurer’s Office, University of Massachusetts Building Authority;
- Work with staff to ensure business processes and procedures for the Controller’s office and campus departments are sufficiently documented and periodically reviewed for accuracy;
- Maintain standard of superior service to all customers; foster and maintain positive relationships and work collaboratively with faculty, staff and students;
- Represent the Controller and the campus at meetings of campus, university and national groups regarding University fund accounting; serve on University of Massachusetts President’s Office committees, as assigned;
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or a closely related field and a minimum of five-seven (5-7) years of direct experience in accounting/finance is required. Ability to travel throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on a regular basis is required. Ability to work periodic extended hours, nights and weekends, as necessary.
- Masters of Business Administration and/or Certified Public Accountant preferred.
- Financial background in an academic or public institution environment is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and GASB accounting principles and Financial Statement Preparation;
- Demonstrated high level of proficiency in integrated financial management systems, as well as complementary database management reporting applications and the Microsoft Office suite of applications;
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and meet ongoing deadlines, while performing all essential functions of the position;
- Ability to supervise the work of others;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate and interact effectively with all levels of the campus community;
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Salary commensurate with experience.
This is a non-union position.
This position will remain open until filled.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.