Assistant Campus Planner
Job no: 496061
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Campus Master Plan
Pay Grade: 32
Date opened: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Reporting to the Director of Campus Master Planning within the Division of Administration and Finance, the Assistant Campus Planner will perform a variety of planning related duties in support of the university’s physical campus needs and growth. The Assistant Campus Planner will participate in space planning/programming; the development of studies, plans and capital projects; and specific needs in space and land use related to housing, historic preservation, transportation, and environmental planning and sustainability. The incumbent will work alongside a diverse group of stakeholders including students, faculty, staff, external agencies and off-campus stakeholders.
Examples of Duties:
- Perform a variety of planning related duties in support of the university’s physical campus needs and growth; participate in and support planning meetings, workshops, and design charrettes; plan review sessions with internal and external stakeholders; represent the Office of Campus Master Planning on various university committees and projects;
- Collaborate with the Facilities Management Department in the coordination, organization, and development of master planning, feasibility studies, and project programming and design;
- Assist in the coordination of space moves, allocations, and renovations;
- Collaborate with stakeholders to identify operational impacts of campus planning related activities and develop mitigation strategies;
- Gather, interpret and prepare data for studies, reports, and recommendations;
- Create and maintain databases, records, schedules, and other master planning documents;
- Provide analytical and administrative support to the university’s master planning related committees;
- Act as campus liaison with project managers, architects and external consultants to facilitate campus decision-making;
- Review capital project plans and documents submitted by external consultants to ensure consistency with University standards;
- Assist in evaluating and recommending improvements to the university’s campus master planning and capital budgeting processes;
- Provide support in the preparation of request for proposal documents for consultant selection;
- Produce graphics and maps for campus plans, presentations, studies and a variety of informational handouts;
- Create communication materials and conduct outreach both on and off campus regarding activities related to campus development and master planning;
- Coordinate activities with other departments and agencies as directed;
- Perform studies, financial analyses, and other research as requested;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture or a closely related field and a minimum of three-five (3-5) years of planning, design, and/or project management experience is required.
A Master’s Degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture or a closely related field and a minimum of one-three years of planning, design and/or project management experience can be used as a substitution to the above.
- Work experience in a planning or operational facility in a support role is preferred;
- Skill in researching, analyzing and developing plans and preparing technical and financial reports and presentations preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and strong computer and software application skills, including Microsoft Office, CADD, Adobe Creative Suite, and/or other design programs;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain collaborative and effective relationships;
- Ability and experience working well both in a team setting and independently;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong research and technical writing skills;
- Strong problem-solving skills;
- Strong decision making and interpersonal skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 7 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.