Assistant Counselor for Veterans & Transfer Recruitment
Job no: 495920
Position Type: Staff Part Time, Hourly
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: VC-Enrollment Management
Date opened: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
The Assistant Counselor for Veteran Recruitment, within the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, is responsible for the development and/or implementation of outreach, recruitment activities, softwares and strategies to attract veteran students to the University. The Assistant Counselor will arrange and attend college and job fairs and conduct monthly visits to schools, VA centers, military installations and National Guard Units; represent the University at events for Veterans; monitor prospects and applications and implement strategies to convert them in the admissions funnel; utilize yield strategies to increase enrollment of veteran students.
The Assistant Counselor for Veteran Recruitment will work in collaboration with the Office of Veteran’s Affairs. S/he will represent the Undergraduate Admissions Office on key committees helping to promote access and services for veteran applicants and students; will be assigned as the liaison to the Office of Veteran’s Affairs and assist with related veteran events and programs.
Examples of Duties:
- Develop and/or implement outreach, recruitment activities and strategies to attract veteran and transfer students to the University;
- Arrange and attend college and job fairs, monthly visits, and veteran’s events;
- Advise veterans of education benefits;
- Monitor veteran prospects and applications and implement strategies to convert them in the admission funnel;
- Utilize yield strategies to increase enrollment of veteran and transfer students;
- Serve as liaison to UMass Boston’s Office of Veteran’s Affairs;
- Remain current regarding state, federal, and University regulations and policies related to Veteran’s benefits and federal compliance;
Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of one year of experience in post-secondary administration, counseling or recruitment required. Prior admissions experience in recruitment and counseling prospective students preferred. Ability to work evenings and/or weekends may be required. Valid driver’s license required.
- Knowledge of military experience, benefits, and transcripts;
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting, as well as independently with minimum supervision;
- Ability to deliver services in an environment with an emphasis on customer service, both internally and externally;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Hourly Rate: $19.00
This is a part-time (20 hours per week), temporary (through 6/30/2019), non-benefited, non-union position.
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.