Job no: 495619
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: CAPS - Dean's Office
Date opened: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
In consultation with the Dean, Director of Strategic Initiatives and Special Projects, Assistant Deans, senior staff, program directors and academic staff, the Associate Dean will lead the development and implementation of the academic mission of the College of Advancing and Professional Studies (CAPS). As the senior academic officer, the Associate Dean will provide leadership and coordination of all academic programs; and will play a key role in strategic planning, policy formation, goal setting, implementation, program assessment, and evaluation.
Examples of Duties:
- Provide leadership for and coordination of the operational function of the academic mission of the College of Advancing and Professional Studies (CAPS);
- Serve on the College’s senior leadership team and provide the Dean with recommendations on all facets of the operation of CAPS; assist in implementing the College of Advancing and Professional Studies strategic plan;
- Work with the program directors and faculty in efforts to improve student learning and development;
- Provide leadership and coordination of program assessment and curriculum assurance of learning activities within the college;
- Represent CAPS on all matters related to academics with the other colleges, schools and institutional stakeholders across the university;
- Serve as the academic liaison with college/school counterparts on joint program development and new course offerings;
- Approve new CAPS course proposals in collaboration with the program directors; communicate new course proposals to the Dean and CAPS steering committee;
- Responsible for CAPS accreditation requirements and the assessment and evaluation of CAPS academic programs;
- Work with program directors to assure course syllabi clearly articulate student learning outcomes;
- Interface with designated staff in matters related to online, face-to-face and other modes of delivery;
- Lead the college in examining, delivering and assessing new efficient and effective course delivery methods;
- Recruit and approve the hiring of program directors; responsible for planning for faculty full-time hiring needs within the college, in coordination with program directors and the Dean;
- Responsible for college faculty issues including contract renewal for college faculty, program director evaluations, and Annual Faculty Reviews (AFRs);
- Interpret and analyze state and national educational policies, standards, accreditation and matters related to distance education;
- Assure that college programs are in compliance with all standards of reaccrediting agencies;
- Represent CAPS on campus-wide committees and events at the Dean’s request;
- Monitor CAPS course and program enrollments and develops plans and strategies in collaboration with the Director of Strategic Initiatives for enrollment growth and student retention;
- Responsible for college academic matters and work with the Dean and the Assistant Dean of Finance and Business Intelligence on academic budget needs;
- Provide leadership and responsibility for designated specific projects or activities;
- Ensure the integrity, excellence and ongoing development of the College’s academic programs and oversee the integration/coordination of college programs and initiatives;
- Represent the college in matters relating to curriculum, faculty, budget, scheduling, and course delivery;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Ph.D. or Ed.D and significant experience in the successful managerial and administrative operations in higher education as a department chair, graduate program director or associate dean required. Record of current and past scholarly/creative and professional activities required. Significant teaching experience at the post-secondary level that would qualify for the academic rank of associate or full professor required. Demonstrated experience in academic planning and new program development required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrable ability to successfully set priorities, analyze data and to think systematically from both a detailed and strategic perspective;
- Critical analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated record of strong and consistent teamwork and collaboration with faculty, administrators, staff, and students;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
This is a non-union position.
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.