Job no: 495460
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Undergraduate Admissions
Pay Grade: 15
Date opened: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
The Processing Specialist within the Office of Undergraduate Admissions plays a vital role in helping to meet the University’s overall enrollment goals and for assisting future students in achieving a smooth transition into the university from pre-application to full matriculation. The incumbent will organize and coordinate complex admissions application processing according to established university and departmental policies and procedures; will review admission applications for accuracy and completeness; and will research the accreditation of United States institutions, which is necessary to determine transferability of coursework.
Processing Specialists will also be responsible for performing data entry of transfer credits for students and entering applicant data; and will maintain the integrity of admissions databases by monitoring error reports and making appropriate corrections. The incumbent will also verify cumulative grade point averages and will answer questions and provide routine information to potential students and parents/guardians, as well as from both internal and external departments and customers, including high school guidance counselors and representatives from other colleges and universities. The Processing Specialist will provide on-the-job training to new processing staff; will assign and monitor the work of work-study students working in the processing area; and will provide back-up support and/or coverage for other processors, as needed.
Examples of Duties:
- Organize and coordinate complex admission applications according to established university and departmental policies and procedures; review admission applications for accuracy and completeness and request additional materials, if needed; forward completed student application to admission counselors for decision; print and match student profile sheets;
- Research accreditation of United States institutions to determine if the institution is accredited and to determine the transferability of coursework;
- Perform data entry of new applications and review for accuracy, completeness and verification of status; enter transfer credits for students from both domestic and international institutions; enter international student data into SEVIS for the purposes of generating I-20’s; maintain the integrity of admissions databases by monitoring error reports and making appropriate corrections; enter, update, maintain and purge applicants’ credentials for holding file;
- Verify GPA of transfer students; validate college grade point average on transcripts and complete conversion of GPA transfer credits from quarter or unit to semester hours;
- Review domestic and international credentials to determine application readiness for counselor’s review;
- Merge prospect data into application database and verify student record, student identification number and related student information to prevent duplication of application and/or student identification number;
- May manage and create user accounts, set-up security access and create and reset passwords for the common application, under the guidance and request of the Director;
- Test new software and business systems, as necessary; may attend meetings and committees both on-campus and external to coordinate information;
- Receive and handle deposits and application fees, verify payments and international financial documents and forward to the Bursar’s Office for processing;
- Work with Financial Aid to verify and determine residency status to determine the appropriate application fee;
- Communicate with staff within the division of Enrollment Management to verify student history, to coordinate data records and to meet the enrollment goals of the university;
- Create and maintain applicant folders in compliance with university and Massachusetts State Archives record retention policies;
- Assign and monitor the work performed by work-study students assisting in the processing area; may participate in interviews and make recommendations on the hiring of new work study students;
- Serve as agent on the office main telephone number queuing system; provide routine information to callers and when appropriate, field inquiries to appropriate staff person; may provide support for status calls;
- Provide back-up support and/or coverage for other processors; create a training manual for specific duties to ensure proper coverage during absence; assist in providing on-the-job training to new and current staff members;
- Process Heat Tickets to request changes to admissions system;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The incumbent must have at least two years, or equivalent part-time, experience in office management, office administration, business administration or business management is required. Ability to deliver service in an environment with an emphasis on internal and external customer service is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures including office record keeping, office correspondence control, the types and uses of office equipment and supplies and business letter preparation;
- Knowledge of software applications, including office software and database management;
- Knowledge of the types and applications of standard office filing systems;
- Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of data to draw conclusions and to make appropriate recommendations utilizing a high level of independent judgment;
- Ability to gather information through questioning individuals and by examining records and documents;
- Ability to understand, explain and apply the laws, rules, policies, and procedures governing the assigned unit activities;
- Ability to write concisely, express thoughts clearly and develop ideas in a logical sequence;
- Ability to assemble items of information in accordance with established procedures and determine the proper format and procedures for assembling items of information;
- Ability to follow guidelines and procedures, as well as written and oral instructions;
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Ability to give written and oral instructions in a precise, understandable manner;
- Ability to prepare general reports and work accurately with names, numbers, codes and/or symbols;
- Ability to maintain accurate records;
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others and to deal tactfully with others;
- Ability to research and navigate the internet and social media;
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Strong customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three professional work references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date, September 21, 2018.
Bi-Weekly Salary: $1,639.72
Administrative Assistant I.
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.