Sales and Marketing Manager
Job no: 494557
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: Campus Services
Pay Grade: 30
Date opened: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Under the Supervision of the Executive Director, the Sales and Marketing Manager will be responsible for developing and implementing strategies to generate revenue from conference and event sales. The incumbent will develop and implement a comprehensive marketing and outreach plan which highlights meeting and event space available at UMass Boston; and will develop revenue through the production and management of sales leads via university departments, private business, non-profits, local, state and federal agencies. The incumbent will conduct site tours, respond to RFPs (requests for proposals), assemble event contracts and manage conference sales and marketing efforts.
The Campus Center and Event Services Department provides for the day-to-day operation of the Campus Center and serves as the primary office for event scheduling, conference and event services:
Event Services – The office serves as the central location for event scheduling, conference and event services, providing a full range of meeting and event spaces to departments, student organizations, and external clients. Services include space scheduling, event set-up, staffing, event equipment, classroom management, conference sales and event support.
The Campus Center – The department manages the day-to-day operation of the Campus Center. The “living room” and community center at UMass Boston, the Campus Center is a contemporary, attractive, and spacious location for social, cultural and educational programs, and a central location for many university and campus services.
Examples of Duties:
- Serve as a member of the Campus Center and Events Services team, working alongside the staff to support the overall mission of the department; collaborate with the Executive Director on the development of annual goals and strategic priorities;
- Generate conference and special event revenue through the development of sales leads from: business, non-profit, education, government, healthcare, private, professional meeting/event planners and university departments;
- Respond to conference and event inquiries, hold space, develop quotes, produce contracts and obtain insurance documentation. Maintain accurate sales lead records and track sales data. Utilize data to plan future sales strategies;
- Network with businesses, hotels, caterers, meeting planners and agencies to develop relationships that lead to repeat business and generate new sales leads;
- Develop and maintain a list of contacts from various business sectors to aid in sales and outreach efforts; Schedule and conduct tours/site visits for clients and potential customers;
- Develop and implement a comprehensive marketing and outreach plan that will maximize UMass Boston conference and special event revenues. Work with the Associate Director to provide conference and event services information for the department website;
- Work with the University Communications Department to develop and distribute marketing materials (brochures, promotional items, print ads, giveaways) to support conference and event marketing;
- Alongside university communications, develop a Campus Center brochure and marketing plan which highlights the services and amenities the Campus Center provides to the campus community;
- Coordinate and participate in marketing-related open houses, special events, trade shows and monthly networking events as appropriate to develop new business leads;
- Manage professional memberships, marketing affiliations business relationships to enhance the overall operation of the Campus Center. (Convention and Visitors Bureau, Unique Venues, Biz-Bash, vendors, hotels, etc.);
- Coordinate and develop statistical reports connected to facility use and revenue and assist in the assessment of the impact of advertising activities, rate and policy changes related to sales;
- Track and respond to leads by maintaining on-going business relationships (Greater Boston Convention and Visitors Bureau, Unique Venues, Biz Bash, etc.) and develop new ones;
- Work closely with the Assistant Director for Event Management and Reservations to ensure availability and maximization of space utilization through the use of 25Live Scheduling Software;
- Coordinate and lead regular sales meetings;
- Work occasional evenings and weekends as needed to support marketing and sales efforts (rare);
- Perform other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of three-five (3-5) years of work experience in direct sales required.
- Experience in university-related hospitality or event management industry preferred.
- Knowledge of event management software, particularly Resource 25Live preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and other administrative software systems;
- Ability to work in a diverse setting and manage complex communications with individuals from varying backgrounds;
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively and independently in developing and carrying out responsibilities;
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently with university departments and service providers
- Ability to build and retain a customer base;
- Ability to gather information through questioning individuals and by examining records and documents;
- Ability to maintain accurate records;
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others and to deal tactfully with others;
- Ability to assemble items of information in accordance with established procedures and determine the proper format and procedures for assembling items of information;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize;
- Superior customer service skills;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 7 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, genetic information, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, or membership in any other protected class. The University of Massachusetts Boston complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews.